Windows NT, 2000 and XP users - online security test (free)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pleasure. :) I like it too. Hey - I have a question... anyone know how to get Local Security Policy to run/work on Windows XP Home Edition? I tried copying files/registry settings but haven't gotten it to work yet. I at least get it to run but it doesn't have the options as Pro does. Any ideas or tips? Thanks lol.

I remember that. <g> Hey... how come MS doesn't provide a GUI version of the Hotfix Security Checker thing? Command line is nice and all but GUI would be nicer in some ways. This of course isn't really a question for you - its for MS. <g>

Does anyone have a copy of the final version of OptOut before it was pulled? I'd like a copy please. :) And yes, I have/use Ad-Aware also.

OptOut is still available at GRC.com

MS doesn't provide a graphical front end because they don't want people to laugh at MCSEs.......

Originally posted by Vehementi
You can also try Shields UP!, or Leak Test from Gibson Research Corporation.

Hey, it's fun reading these old posts :)

I ran this Shields Up! test. Here's what it said:
Preliminary Internet connection refused!
This is extremely favorable for your system's overall Windows File and Printer Sharing security. Most Windows systems, with the Network Neighborhood installed, hold the NetBIOS port 139 wide open to solicit connections from all passing traffic. Either this system has closed this usually-open port, or some equipment or software such as a "firewall" is preventing external connection and has firmly closed the dangerous port 139 to all passersby. (Congratulations!)
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back