Windows on flash memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

With flash memory getting bigger and bigger, pretty soon I'm sure one can boot windows right off a flash disk.... I'm just wondering if anyone has done this?

ohhh, i wouldn't go that far just yet. i doubt bios's would be able to do such a thing. besides, then you've got the windows boot loader to worry about...

Newer mobo's let you boot from USB-keys.
W98/SE or W2K would easily fit on a 1GB USB-key, no reason why that should not work!

I haven't checked in a while, but I think the speed of flash memory is much slower than hard drives, so it's not a viable solution.

I heard something about in the future they could put Windows on a ROM chip
which could make boot times that are as long as it takes you to hit the power button. :)

I think with the faster memory speeds coming out that this wouldn't be an issue. Also mermory is solid state and more or less should move data faster than a mechanical item like a hard drive, right?

As a small tidbit to this.. what about knoppix.. its a linux distro that runs from memory/cdrom.. hdd not needed.

I am sure you could fit that on an external USB flash card and it run just fine....

this is news to me. i suppose someday there would be solid-state data systems replacing conventional magnetic harddrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back