TechSpot

Windows Phone 8 'Apollo' based on the desktop OS' kernel, brings NFC, native Skype, more

By Matthew
Feb 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. An internal video acquired by PocketNow has revealed a slew of fresh details about Microsoft's upcoming handsets. In the leaked clip, Joe Belfiore, director of the Windows Phone program, describes…

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

from*

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

Sounds good and all but surely that means virus's will now be an issue? That would mean a running anti-virus which means more power needed.

Overall I think it's a neat idea, I like what Microsoft is trying to do however, bare in mind how many security flaws get found in windows, I can't see this as being a very battery friendly OS

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

5. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 635   +60

Well wp7 is very good on battery usage atm. What do you think the new update will bring that changes that?

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

I don't believe any OS is without security issues. Have a look at poor control of Google on this issue, which in turn let people use its market to spread all type of malware and stuff.

If MS is able to pull of this integration, I think MS will continue to own corporate ..... which would be very significant achievement IMO.

7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I wouldn't worry about the security. Although WinRT will be ported, it doesn't mean the whole OS will.

8. i heard that it is based on windows vista kernel

9. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Member Posts: 95   +30

Sure...

Why not WinMe while you're at it?

10. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 739   +31

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

In the same way Windows 7 was "based" on the Vista Kernel..

11. Ya think, with a name like Princeton ,should have a better command of the language, is" to and fro", check before ya correct,

12. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

It's not a big deal, get over it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.