Windows Phone OEMs still important as Microsoft targets 15% market share

Scorpus

Staff member

windows phone oems microsoft nokia windows phone oem mobile market share wp8

Overnight, Microsoft stunned the tech world by announcing they've purchased Nokia's Devices and Services unit for 5.4 billion euros, with the deal expected to close in early 2014. By making this acquisition, Microsoft has absorbed the largest Windows Phone manufacturer and its Lumia line, but the company insists that other OEMs are still important.

Terry Myerson, EVP of Operating Systems at Microsoft, stresses that the purchase of Nokia doesn't change the company's commitment to build a great ecosystem of partners.

Acquiring Nokia’s Devices group will help make the market for all Windows Phones, from Microsoft or our OEM partners [...] We have exciting ideas, and so do our OEM partners. Our partners bring innovation, diversity and scale to Windows. [...] We collaborate with our Microsoft hardware teams in the same way we partner with our external hardware partners [...and...] we look forward to building new products together that will provide valuable business opportunity for the ecosystem.

What this means is that Microsoft will still be making Windows Phone available to partners, whether that's Samsung, HTC, Huawei or another OEM. However, it remains to be seen how enthusiastic other companies will be in supporting Windows Phone, now that the largest manufacturer is owned by Microsoft.

windows phone oems microsoft nokia windows phone oem mobile market share wp8

A slide deck posted to Microsoft's investor site has also revealed the company's plans for Windows Phone. With Nokia on-board, they're aiming for 15% of the market by 2018, which would mean essentially tripling their current market share.

Although Windows Phone has experienced strong growth in recent quarters, it has been largely at the expense of BlackBerry, Symbian and other feature phone operating systems. If Microsoft wants to increase their market share to 15% by 2018, they'll need to start digging into the slice of the market currently occupied by Android, and that's no easy task.

Permalink to story.

Win 8 is a decent mobile operating system. If MS jacked up their app store considerably I see no reason why people wouldn't seriously consider it.

If you can't beat them....BUY THEM. LOL.

Wow, now Windows 8 market share will increase again by default. Amazing.

Soon, people will have no choice but to purchase a Windows 8 device because that will be the only choice.

APPS PLEASE! And not unknown, low quality apps either. Still waiting for B&N's Nook on WP8, it's available in the Windows 8 PC store, but why not for the phone?

If you can't beat them....BUY THEM. LOL.

Wow, now Windows 8 market share will increase again by default. Amazing.

Soon, people will have no choice but to purchase a Windows 8 device because that will be the only choice.
That makes absolutely zero sense. Microsoft was never in any competition with Nokia, you nub.

APPS PLEASE! And not unknown, low quality apps either. Still waiting for B&N's Nook on WP8, it's available in the Windows 8 PC store, but why not for the phone?

MS needs to bite the bullet, walk their sorry butts into Google's or Apple's headquarters and work something out so that windows phones can use Android or Apple apps. I still run into cases where some apps are only for Apple and not Android. It must be terribly frustrating for a WP user.

That makes absolutely zero sense. Microsoft was never in any competition with Nokia, you nub.

Ummm, the implication was the mobile market in 'general' but I guess that went just a lil bit over your head. Very few people care about Windows 8. What better way to make them care than to force and thrust it upon them. Like a big fat chick running at you and hopping onto your lap before you have the chance to know what hit you.

Microsoft's strategy for winning is not by product superiority or even by consumer demand. It's by eliminating choices. That's what they are doing on the desktop. Clearly the same strategy is being used in the mobile market. Too bad they probably can't afford to buy Google or Samsung. Then I would have no choice but to declare Windows 8 a sucess. :)

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. That was my fault. I am the one to blame. I hate myself. I HATE MYSELF. :)

I said at the time Nokia signed the deal with Microsoft that it was only to devalue Nokia, so Microsoft would buy them. If Nokia would have given users a choice of OS, they would have been much more profitable. Microsoft may have still purchased them, but it would have cost them 2 or 3 times as much.

Now, Nokia should be sued by their shareholders for making such a stupid move.

Ummm, the implication was the mobile market in 'general' but I guess that went just a lil bit over your head. Very few people care about Windows 8. What better way to make them care than to force and thrust it upon them. Like a big fat chick running at you and hopping onto your lap before you have the chance to know what hit you.

Microsoft's strategy for winning is not by product superiority or even by consumer demand. It's by eliminating choices. That's what they are doing on the desktop. Clearly the same strategy is being used in the mobile market. Too bad they probably can't afford to buy Google or Samsung. Then I would have no choice but to declare Windows 8 a sucess. :)

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. That was my fault. I am the one to blame. I hate myself. I HATE MYSELF. :)

Still makes no sense. Nokia & Microsoft have been partners with Windows Phone & it's devices. HTC & Samsung each have sub-par Windows Phone devices that shouldn't even exist (Ativ, 8X, 8S). Nokia is responsible for over 80% of WP sells and they also have never sold an Android device to begin with. So how are they forcing something down our throats? Nokia was too late to the Android party, Microsoft knew that and took the opportunity to invest in them to lead their WP devices.

The latest Windows update for Verizon HTC 8X took nearly 6 hours. I thought my phone was bricked and so did the Verizon store and HTC support.

Back