windows problem causes cpu 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeve

Hi. I'm running XP pro on a clean machine (regular scans with Avg, Adaware, Spybot, Regclean). Amd Duron 1000 MHz 512MB Ram Dual 80 GB Hard drives. After an earlier session of downloading application software, I started windows to find that Thunderbird froze on start up. The Tbird screen was there, but no contents. And CPU went to 100%, Task Manager said Tbird not responding. Most other applications ran as usual. Thinking Malware, I ran Adaware to find it also froze when scanning a reg key. Avg similar...froze when it reached Windows\system32\zprogbar.ocx. The programs seem to be running, but nothing changes for a LONG time. Same with Spybot. Then I noticed that if I tried to open system32 folder in MyComputer, explorer stops responding, cpu goes to 100%. So I can only think the prob is in system32 somewhere. Have uninstalled all recently downloaded software. Tried running RegCure but it also only got as far as system32\xmlprov1.dll then froze. If anyone has seen this behavior before would appreciate some ideas. Thanks!

hmm.. i haven't heard of this problem before, but there are similar in terms of freezing while scanning something...

I'd like to eliminate possible bad infections by getting you to follow these instructions then posting a new thread in the security and web section.. once we get the all clear from the guys there we can start troubleshooting with a clear conscience..

otherwise, if you want to skip that, you can try checking the following...
-check safe mode works with scanning and basic OS stability
-check your task manager for processes that its peaking at
-do a chkdisk /f and a defrag if you didn't have one recently
-you said it started with thunderbird crashing.. have you tried reinstalling it?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try booting into safe mode and doing a system restore to before the problems occurred. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for all that. It will take me a while to work thru it . Things are already looking sunnier...I scanned with Bitdefender and it revealed 2 baddies infecting various parts of Thunderbird. Must have come in on an email. Those are gone now and...great news Tbird works again. There is still some weird behavior so will run the other scans. Really greatful to find these amazing facilities! Will keep you posted.

safe mode is a good way of running scans, because the "malware" is not in memory ..

May I recommend you upgrade your CPU, maybe a athlon XP , or a 1.8Ghz Duron after a while processors start to disintergate.

Thanks Superinc. Will run scans in safe mode. I plan to upgrade my cpu sometime soon. Aside from disintegrating, it just needs to be faster! Will have to research compatible processors.

Problem mostly solved. It definitely was a malware issue. Those are excellent scanners you put me on to. The only remaining strangeness is that Adaware still freezes when scanning one reg key. Reinstalling hasnt helped. But I can live without adaware. Thank you Angels of IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back