Windows Problem due to malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkashes_3

i had noticed, i had some viruses and i ran the avg spyware and cc cleaner got rid of what it had found, then proceded to run that avg antirootkit program also, during the scan my desktop had got a few new unrecognized icons that i belive were malware. so my rootkitscan stoped so i proceded to hit stop and fix selected problems then it prompted me to restart my pc so i did, and now when i try to reboot i get to my desktop it stops and goes back to the windows profile screen, i click on my only profile and it will say loading settings, right after it says logging off and i can't get past that screen did i do somthing wrong? So then i was fed up and just reinstall window's but i cant seem to get my pc to boot from disk? Any help would be great

I suggest you reformat and reinstall from scratch.

You need to do the following.

Diconnect from the net and don`t reconnect, until you have your firewall software installed.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd drive.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Install your firewall software and reconnect to the net. Install whatever drivers you need, then run Windows updates.

Finally, install whatever programmes/software you want.

Regards Howard :)

ok thank you Howard. This is the issue i seem to be having i go into my settings to boot from disk so i set 1st boot: to cd/dvd-0 then my hard drive for the 2nd, Correct ? but when i reboot it just goes into my windows loggin screen that has been comprimised

Doh !!!
i got it some how my cd drive cable had come lose a little bit. im doing the process now thanks for all this >.<

well i seem to have ran into another issue "sigh" i reformated as you said and now when windows is doing the setup after teh blue screen install, it says aprox 39 min left and i start hearing a clicking from my cd drive or my hard drive hard to tell, shortly after it says setup cannot continue due to an I/O error device not ready or somthing like that any suggestions ?

That`s not good.

Try a different IDE cable for your hard drive. If that doesn`t help, I suspect your hard drive may be failing.

Test your hard drive using your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility. If you can`t find it, see this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back