Windows Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magniitude

Well, basically I installed a bad driver i guess and my computer wont boot up past the memory check screen, and leads to a black screen. Ive tried repair, all advanced options. Everytime I try to repair I get a BSOD (IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , something to that extent, with stop error 0x000000000a or soemthing.) I recently put the HD into my older computer (with another HD and XP on it, and backed up the files.I attempted to delete the nvidia driver files manually as none of the programs showed up in add/remove programs. I plugged the HD backinto the dell and no avail, and i took out video card and used integrated, and also took out a cd-rw dirve, which wasnt the problem. Basically I've tried everything a person would normally first offer to try, so Im really lost here.

Is there a way to "reformat" that drive from another computer, or reinstall XP onto it? Or even better, use system restore from just one harddrive?

Thanks a lot, however looks like I need a new HD.

Magniitude said:
Is there a way to "reformat" that drive from another computer, or reinstall XP onto it? Or even better, use system restore from just one harddrive?

Thanks a lot, however looks like I need a new HD.

I've never done it, but you should be able to put the HD in another computer. Don't make it the boot drive. Let another drive start Windows and format the HD with the problems from Disk Management.

If the other computer doesn't have a hard drive, you could boot off a floppy disk or CD system disk (in the original PC) and format from command prompt. Not sure if that works with Windows XP, but it did with Windows 95 when I did it a while ago.

Can't you press F8 before Windows boots and select command prompt?

EDIT: Have you read this: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

why do you say you think you need hard drive
is it not spinning up do you not here it start on boot
if you are getting BSOD the drive is running??
lots of free utilitys to check and or fix errors to xp BSOD's
first get to bios disable video shadowing disable cpu memory caching video caching
If you have install disc get cheap working used 10gb drive install OS on that and fix other
or dwnld linux forinsecs disc or nopix or the like.
I have the ultimate boot disc worked on a few things

you may try this. it always works.

get a 98 floppy boot disk from here
start your pc with boot disk in
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format hdd
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

When I try a boot disk it says I am missing the file "hal.dll" from system32. I am in the process of replacing the file on the corrupt Windows with a fresh one that I have from my other XP installation. I think that may be the reason why I cannot boot into Windows. During setup, it BSods when it says its checking for previous installations.

The boot disk wont boot up windows because it says it is missing or has a corrupt hal.dll. I moved the HD backinto the other computer, and put the hal.dll from another xp installation into the system32 folder. When I use the boot disk again, it has the same problem, and if i let it just run (without disk) it says something about kernel dlls.

NEw HD means I might have to buy a new one because I cant get past this problem(s)

I cant use repair, because anytime I use repair or recovery console I get the Bsod.

hal.dll tells me that you're not booting into floppy.
before you turn your machine on, do this:
turn machine on, while tapping del, f1, esc or some other key that will get you to BIOS.
while in bios, change boot sequence to boot from floppy first.
then follow as posted above.

can you get to safe mode by pressing f8?
if you can get into safe mode, do this:
go to command prompt c:
enter osuninst
the win98 boot disk should get you into win98 and should not even look at hal.dll or anything in hdd concerning xp.
this simple. just make sure that the win98 boot floppy is good.

My bad my i had the xp boot disk...im gonna try the 98 out.

EDIT: Which partition whould I create primary, extended, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back