windows problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

triiifashions

i have a small samsung hd that came out of my moms computer and i have hooked it to mine and tried to boot the xp home that is on the hd and nogo!
it gets to the white bar at the bottom and just before the windows logo it blue screens and restarts? i can hook it up as a secondary hd and i can read it fine but it will not boot any suggestions??

Hi

Seems I have posted this a few times now, I must get a sticky done,

XP, 2K, and NT will only boot on the machine it was installed on, or another machine with IDENTICAL hardware, it will not take on another machine who's hardware differs from the machine it was installed on.

You can read the drive OK as it is treated as a slave drive and is therefore not hardware dependant.

Windows 95, 98 and ME were the only OS's that could be moved from one machine to another due to them not being dependant on the hardware installed.

Some will tell you that you can put the HD in and do an over the top install, or indeed do a repair of the OS, sometimes it works, but most of the time there will be problems, I have yet to meet anyone who has successfully transplanted a HD from one machine into another and got it working 100%.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back