TechSpot

Windows Ready Boost

By saif
Feb 2, 2007
  1. There is a cool new feature in Vista that allows us to use a flash drive to speed up the OS. But my computer is'nt that high end to run Vista. So, is the a software equivalent to Windows Ready Boost for Windows XP that can be downloaded through the Internet?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Sorry, no such luck.

3. saif

saif TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 48

Thanks for the reply, but does Ubuntu 6.06 support a similar feature?

4. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

5. saif

Will the system run faster if I use Ubuntu through a flash drive?

6. kitty500cat

I think a flash drive using Hi-speed USB would have higher bandwidth than a CD-ROM drive. I'm not sure about access times, though. I think with some small OSes the entire OS can get loaded into RAM, but I'm not sure of this size of Ubuntu. I don't have a lot of experience w/Linux.

7. saif

How much RAM and flash drive bandwidth and capacity would you suggest to run a system at good speeds?

8. kitty500cat

Most new motherboards support Hi-Speed USB, which is 480 megabits per second. If you're doing video editing or gaming, I'd recommend 2GB of RAM. But if you're browsing the web, listening to music, running word processing software, and stuff like that, probably something like 1GB.

Update: I just came across this: http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/08/analysis_vista_ready_boost/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.