Windows reinstall not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my hubby got a virus and the puters all screwed up. We're trying to reformat and reinstall XP. The problem is the cd drive on the puter isn't reading the boot disk.
We have another dvd dr usb connected. He went into the bios and changed the boot order but it's not working.
We hate to trash this puter as he's got all his work stuff here.
How can we get the boot disk to work.
The puter is 4 years old and is a Sony all in one.
The wierd thing is with the drive in the puter is it will read and play an audio cd but not read data.
Any answer would be appreciated.
Thanx

Hi,

Couple of questions i want to as about your COMputer :)

1, What error are you getting to suggest its not reading the boot disk? is it just restarting or giving you a message?

2, When you say he changed the boot order what order did he change it to?

3, Is the boot disk the original disk that came with the PC?

4, Have you been to the Techspot virus and malware section to get it look at and repaired? they are good over there and will most probably sort it without you having to re-format

Well i go t ahold of sony support and theres a recovery thing build into the puter. a s far as the drive theres no error it just wont read data. I have the same puter and i have the same thing with mine. It reads and plays audio cds but wont read data,
Anyhooo thanks I think we"re ok now

Oh ya of course there's stuff, lol. With all the connections done right to the internet he cant get on......poor guy is sooooooo up set right now. Something isn't pointing the connection to the right spot......so right now he's re restoring.......gawdddddddddd
Such a deal, thanx for being interested, will report back..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back