Windows restarting after 15 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is my first post.

About two days ago I got infected with Smitfraud malware. I had installed Registry Cleaner and ran it like it said. Bad choice. Next time I booted up my computer, it froze after about two seconds after I had logged on to Windows. Now, the computer just restarts after about 10 seconds I log on so I can't do anti-rootkit scans and such on normal mode. Safe mode however, works just fine. Any ideas/suggestions?

Ideas? Suggestions? Anything?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The reg cleaner you used has obviously deleted some reg keys it shouldn`t have.

There are a couple of entries in your HJT log that need getting rid of, but the main concern is of course your inability to boot into normal mode.

From safe mode, try doing a system restore to before you used the reg cleaner.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

No dice, it didn't work. All the system restore points didn't work except for March 12, Monday and that was the day I used reg cleaner.

If you can, go back to an earlier working time, by clicking on C:\Startup\ Help and Support and click on System Restore. If no previous good installs are available, boot to your Windows disc and select repair mode... let Windows fix the registry problem. Then you may need to re-install other software that has been damaged by the registry destruction.
Before you do the reinstalls, once you get windows working, use three or four different antivirus and antispyware scans while in safe mode, then repeat, to assure you don't have an infestation hiding in memory as you shut down.

If what raybay said and Howard said didn't work...may I suggest a clean format of your computer...this is the one guarantee that everything on your computer is gone. Remember that it wipes everything and this is only for when there are no other solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back