Windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. message

By chirobvt
Aug 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I turned on my computer this morning and the message said this file is missing or corrupt...re-install the file. I downloaded the file from my husband's computer onto a thumb drive. The drive lights up when I put it into my computer, but the message stays...Nothing on my keyboard works when I turn off the computer and back on...none of the F1, F10 etc. keys work, not even esc...When I tried the recovery disc from HP, the CD drive lights up spins, and that is all. How can I re-install if none of the accesses to the computer work? I can't even get into safe mode to fix things. Thanks for any help...Barb
  2. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 698

Can you access the BIOS at all?
  3. chirobvt

chirobvt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Nothing..when I turn the computer on, the blue screen appears with ESC, F1. F10 options, but when I click on the keys, nothing happens...like the keyboard is dead...then it goes into that black screen with white lettering re: root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. message.
  4. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 698

Might be a long shot, but have you tried a different keyboard? Perhaps if you have a PS/2 keyboard, then try a USB one and vice versa. Or if you have USB, try it in a different slot.

The reason why I say that, is sometimes power surges can cause problems like these and they often will take out other things on the computer. It could be that your Keyboard port is damaged. It pays to check the obvious :)
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

in addition to what snow said, unplug anything not necessary, just the keyboard and mouse when you attempt to boot.
  6. chirobvt

chirobvt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks, I will try these suggestions tomorrow...I will let you know how things work out.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.