Windows Security problems: HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having two problems with my Vista pc, I don't know whether they're related or two seperate issues:

(1) The Internet Explorer information bar at the bottom right of my screen says that protected mode is off. When I double-click it to change security settings everything looks normal and "enable protected mode" box is ticked on.

(2) Secondly, after start-up, Windows security centre tells me that there no Windows security is in place. When I go to Windows Security Centre I'm told that the "Security Centre service is turned off" even though the "four security essentials" are turned on: Update, firewall, defender, internet options. When I click on the "Turn on now" button I am told that "the security service can't be started".

Heres the currrent security programs I have in place for those who require such info: AVG Free Anti-Virus, AVG Free Anti-Spyware and Adware, Hijackthis, Spybot Search & Destroy, Zone Alarm and AVG Free Rootkit.

Would anyone who has advice on how to remidy the above problems please reply asap as I'm not sure whether I should even be online. Thanks.

I'm sure most people know what I'm on about when I mention the "Protected mode: on/off" toolbar. Below is the Windows Security problem to be more specific.

Hi,
I think, (I think coz i don't use Windows) go to run and type service.msc then set the security feature on.And as for the toolbar issue, that is call phrasing, enable it.
Cheers
Robin

Hello, GSW, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, do you have zone alarm free or security suite etc? If you have security suite or any other version other than free then try unchecking the "Run ZoneAlarm at startup" box then restart your pc and see how it goes

robin_bga said:
Hi,
I think, (I think coz i don't use Windows) go to run and type service.msc then set the security feature on.And as for the toolbar issue, that is call phrasing, enable it.
Cheers
Robin

No luck. Run doesnt recognise service.msc. And you suggest enabling "call
phasing". Where can I do that?

Daveskater said:

With regards to your problem, do you have zone alarm free or security suite etc? If you have security suite or any other version other than free then try unchecking the "Run ZoneAlarm at startup" box then restart your pc and see how it goes

I have Zone Alarm. Unchecked it as a start-up program but i'm still experiencing both problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back