Windows Server 2003 Enterprise installation help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alliance1911

Hi. I have gotton a copy of *cough* legit copy Windows Server 2003 and i have formatted my desktop pc completely and have installed windows server 2003 through bootup. Once it gets installed and all files copied over with 0 errors or alerts, once it is restarted i get "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

My question also is, do i need to have windows xp or such installed before i install windows server 2003?

well, the answer to the 2nd question is no. server 2003 is an operating system in itself and as such will default format your disk before installing.

"Reboot and select proper boot device", may, and i'm not 100% on this, but it may have something to do with raid configuration.
But await more advice on this first.

wow. i just installed before xp pro but had the same message but once i added an extra slave it started to boot up properly. time to just format again for win 2003 server :D - But is it a requirement to actually need to have raid or can i change ut once i reinstall windows 2003 server?

i think you have the option to change it.
As a server it would understandably default to expecting raid to be used.
Whereas a home user on xp would default to non-raid with the option to setup raid later.

Thanks for your help. appreciated. I really do not like raid that much. I am really glad i am installing 2003 server as i can have every computer at home connected :)

well yeah, but it uses raid for a reason, and this is because its needs performance, resiliency, speed of throughtput etc.
Are you just creating a domain controller environment to control the PCs on the network or do you need the server to store data which all your PCs connect to? If so, thats where raid will be need.

The main reason is to simply control all aspects of the computers from one location but having a file storage service would be good. I have a slave drive full of data but when i plugged it in as slave it won't see any data or a drive, how come? second question is how do i change user password policies for Active Directory because i cant seem to create passwords for new users.

Q1. err. not too sure. May be its expecting a default raid controller (as said before. Is your main hdd an IDE? If so is it set to Master, CS or Slave?

Q2. User password policies? You mean just resetting the password?
Thats a simple case of right clicking a user in AD and selecting 'reset password'.
Or changing the protocol which determines length of password, and how often the user has to change it? From memory that it in Group Policy.

Q1. I don't want redundancy etc.. i just want it on one drive and have the 2nd with my data on it so i can access it.

Q2. Through AD in Users i cant add a password for any new users so i cant add users... i get that error but policies seem alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back