Windows Server 2003 into Domain Controller?

By RJ831
Aug 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys I need some serious help. I run a small lab at a small school and I recently upgraded my server to 2003 (standard edition). My old server was set as a domain controller so that any of my users can log on from any where in the lab (or anywhere in the school). My new 2003 server is set as a Workgroup. How do I change it to a domain controller so it can be like my old server. If I leave the new server as workgroup, I'm going to have to change all my computers from domain to workgroup (approx 255 computers on campus). Please if you have any help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance.
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

I did a google "promoting server 2003 to domain controller" and found this page

http://www.visualwin.com/AD-Controller/

Bear in mind that the old domain is gone and the PC's will need introducing to the new domain controller.

Might help you
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

You can add a domain controller role to the OS from that "Manage Your Server" start thingy. It's in Administrative Tools if you've disabled it from startup.
  4. Edgel

Edgel Newcomer, in training

Hi,

you promote a server to be a domain controller by running dcpromo, you really need to understand what you are doing though.

depending on what you have done/do you may have to join all the PC's to the new domain etc.

HTH

Lee
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.