Windows services stops, randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bsaibot

Hi

I am using windows xp sp2 and after some time using the PC some services stops, mainly windows audio service, and network related services. It happens randomly, could take some hours or some days after a fresh boot. I can see when windows audio stops when I have problems in audio (playing avi's por exemple), then I can restart the service manually and the sound is back. For the network part, I see that I can no longer map network units and can't disconnect mapped ones. Also the other computers can't find my shares. So I go and start manually several network related services and it comes back no normal.

I don't know. I just made a full scan with kaspersky and the only thing it finds is setup.exe on c:\ (root) I delete it and sometime later it comes back. I am trying to solve this issue on security forum here in techspot.
Code:
deleted: Trojan program Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.aii	File: C:\setup.exe//UPX

I will try disabling my Soundblaster and my Ethernet card and use the on-board equivalent for awhile to see the results.

I think you can try either of these two options:
1. Either you give that HDD to one of your friends so that your OS is not active
or
2. Try another antivirus like norton or mcafee or zone alarm

That's a very weird problem. I would like to solve it badly cause it was also happening before this freshly format. In event viewer I can see them all stop at the same time. I have a real bad feeling that If I format it again the problem will be back.

n00bsaibot said:
I have a real bad feeling that If I format it again the problem will be back.

If after a fresh install the problem returns then it is a sign of a program that you are installing that is infected, or another PC on the network has the virus and is passing it down the line.

Before you do anything after a fresh install ensure you have an up to date virus scanner installed as well as Trojan\spyware scanners, then connect it to the web \other Pc's.

Regards

I don't know. I just made a full scan with kaspersky and the only thing it finds is setup.exe on c:\ (root) I delete it and sometime later it comes back. I am trying to solve this issue on security forum here in techspot.
Resolve your malware issue first, since that particular nasty seem to like jumping through networked HDDs/partitions

You might also want to check your other PCs connected to the network for that file (setup.exe + autorun.inf in the root/my docs/my shares/temp folders etc) and scan for them as well..

I have a feeling it this problem will go away when you fix your other problem. If not, just give us a bump..

Could it be Windows Update?

I've recently developed the same problem - Windows Audio service has stopped. This results in failures in Windows Media Player and ITunes to play audio. The error in WMP is "0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file". If I restart the Windows Audio service audio works fine! The problem is intermittent, sometimes after a reboot everything is fine. The reason I suspect Windows Update is that my XP Home SP2 install was working fine until about the same time I turned on automatic updates. One of the updates was for IE 7. I cannot find any clues on Microsofts KB.

I am having this exact same problem. Sometimes it doesnt happen for a few weeks and then it just starts acting up again (like today, when it has been really bad. I am not even kidding, as I was typing this the services shut off (the audio, visual styles, networking, and a bunch of others turn off, but I have them set to restart automatically but it doesn't always work.) If anyone knows how to fix this then please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back