Windows shows 512mb Ram as 511mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
My System is

Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz
512Mb Ram (DDR 266)
Intel Motherboard 845GE
Windows 98 SE

I have 512mb Ram installed but Windows 98 SE shows it as 511.0 Ram in the properties of my computer. There is no memory test fail in bios, it reads as 512mb Ram.

Does anybody know what the problem is.

I don't think its a problem. Windows reports my processor as 1010Mhz when its 1000Mhz according to the BIOS.
As long as you aren't having problems I wouldnt' worry about it, you could always dl memtest and check it out to be sure though.

GOD knows where Windows gets these readings from.... But I would not worry at all. Its what the BIOS reports that you have to concern yourself with.

:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about that one bit. It is just a glitch in the windows system. As SNGX said if nothing is wrong, don't bother with it.

Even 512mb is wrong.

In reality, you probably have 520MB or so. ;) But it only shows up as 512 in Windows. My system, for example, as 523.764MB

The loss of memory is most likely caused by your onboard video controller eating up part of the system memory (that is assuming you are using the integrated video). Nothing you can do about it, that's how Intel builds its chipsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back