Windows start-up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikfriend

Hello friends,

I am Nikhil. I have HP Pavilion t310i at my end with Windows XP home edition SP1 as an operating system.

Since yesterday, I am facing following problem while start-up.

On startup, a message "Invalid system disk Replace and press any key when ready" is being displayed. On pressing "Enter" key twice, machine is getting booted but it shows date 01/01/2001 with timestamp of 00:00:00 hrs.

In event viewer, it shows only error for time synchronization but not for booting problem. Error shown in Event Viewer is as under:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 17
Date: 01/01/2001
Time: 00:02:22
User: N/A

Description:
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Event Type: Error
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 29
Date: 01/01/2001
Time: 00:02:22
User: N/A

Description:
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Please help me in this regards.

Waiting for your response.

Regards
Nikhil

nikfriend said:
Hello friends

Hi Nikhail and welcome to techspot

Your error message is just XP saying it cant find a time server to set it's internal clock from.

Your other error is,from the sound of it, a bad BIOS battery and because of this your CMOS is defaulting to a basic setting, this may cause your "invalid disk" message as your CMOS may be set to boot from another device and not your harddrive and your time is going back to a default setting.

The battery is a small watch battery about 2cm's round and is on your motherboard, its a simple job to remove and replace.

Thanks

Thanks friend for the reply.

I shall replace the battery on tomorrow. Does the problem for default time settings solve after this or I do need to take some other measures to correct it ?

Regards
Nikhil

nikfriend said:
Thanks friend for the reply.

I shall replace the battery on tomorrow. Does the problem for default time settings solve after this or I do need to take some other measures to correct it ?

Regards
Nikhil

You will need to set the time and date in windows (which incidentally will change the BIOS time\date) once you boot up, you just double click the clock on the corner and its straight forward from there.

As for XP trying to find a time server, that to is on the clock settings, best disable it,if it's having trouble, but by default it should set it once your connected to the web.

I have replaced the battery but problem is still persistent.

On startup, I am still getting the same message "Invalid system disk Replace and press any key when ready" and time also at 01/01/01 00:00 hrs.

Is there any problem with BIOS ?

Regards
Nikhil

nikfriend said:
I have replaced the battery but problem is still persistent.

On startup, I am still getting the same message "Invalid system disk Replace and press any key when ready" and time also at 01/01/01 00:00 hrs.

Is there any problem with BIOS ?

Regards
Nikhil

You need to set the BIOS to boot from the right drive and set the time..

Hi,
I was on tour and so could not check my machine at home.

Y'day when I had started PC, the message "Invalid system disk Replace and press any key when ready" was reappeared; but this time, date & time in computer were as per the latest one. Even today the timer is working fine but message for invalid system disk is appearing.

Plzz tell how to do changes in BIOS ?

Regards
Nikhil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back