Windows starts to boot up, but then shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughands

Recently when using a Ubuntu LiveCD on my computer to try it out, I put it in and explored a bit. After shutting down I successfully returned to Windows, however trying to do this a second time resulted in a wall of text, I caught some things and something failed. On shutdown mind you.

Now booting my computer it reaches the BIOS, and starts to load Windows XP for say, 4-5 seconds then shutsdown. It also will not boot into Last good Configuration or into safe mode.

There's not too much sensitive/important data on the drive, however if it IS simple to repair I'd prefer that over trying to reformat. However, I'm now frightened to even put my Windows XP disc in, should it still load? I doubt itthe power supply, but could you give a list of causes possibly?

-Vaughands/Vaughan Hilts

but could you give a list
Choose one or more

(most of these you need you Xp CD)
Run CheckDisk from the Recovery command prompt
Run System Restore (%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe)
Run Repair (2nd R prompt)
Format and remove all partitions and reinstall Windows

Not to question you, but I can't exactly run system restore if the computer will not boot? Is there a method I am unaware of; something from the CD?

Yes there is (a method)

Boot from your Xp Cd
Go to the first R
Log on to Administrator (ie press 1 then enter, <- not the other way around that I do all the time!)

Then type: rstrui.exe (and then press enter)

Actually I'm not sure if you have to change directory or not
If it doesn't work type: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back