TechSpot

Windows startup has become slow

By jools182
Jan 21, 2007
  1. My PC has recently become really slow on startup. It gets to the desktop screen and then takes a good minute or two before it lets you do anything.

Also I have problems when shutting down sometimes. It sometimes just won't do it at all and hangs on the 'windows is shutting down' screen. Sometimes it just stays on the desktop screen.

I have also noticed the fan kicking in quite a lot more than it used to.

I have panda platinum security and have done various other spyware and virus checks which don't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

2. Teaser261

Teaser261 TS Rookie Posts: 177

Any recent hardware changes, because it sounds like a conflict?Also, please give us your system specs and to avoid that question in the future, you shopuld list them in your public profile.

3. Fred G

Fred G TS Rookie Posts: 98

One of things that slows windows down is the number of programs you have in your startup menu. If you have too many programs and you dont really need them there take them out. There is also a good sticky in this section that lists programs that slow windows down, stuff like toolbars and such. If are not using them its also a good idea to take them out as well. I dont remember if Panda is on that list though. I personally use AVG and my startup is pretty good.

4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Have you defragmented, and/or run an Anti-Virus program? Usually these can be fixes to your problem.

You can control the programs you start up with by;

going to start>run>msconfig

Just make sure that you don't mess around with the system processes if you don't know what you're doing.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

if you have cable Internet, it could be checking for software updates -- I hate that.
    Personally, I turn off all software, Auto-Updates and use the manual method,
    if find / DL / install updates. This way it's at my choice of dat/time and it
    certainly doesn't need to be EVERY DAY :(

6. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 638

Having too many fonts installed can also make Windows horribly slow to boot.

7. Teaser261

Teaser261 TS Rookie Posts: 177

PC Magazines Start up cop pro is a great alternative to MS config.

8. jools182

jools182 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

I haven't had any recent hardware changes. I am not sure how to find out my system specs. Could you tell me how to find out? Sorry just not that computer literate!
    I have tried a defrag and I have run various anti virus checks. Not sure how many fonts are installed but I havent changed anything from default

9. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Go to start>run>type in "dxdiag" and look under the first tab

10. jools182

This is what was in there:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.051011-1528)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
    System Model: P5GD1-FM
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/22/05 11:02:52 Ver: 08.00.10
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 573MB used, 1888MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

11. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

You could let XP scan its system files by running sfc /scannow (sfc = System File Checker).

And use better titles in the future. I changed this one, I might delete the next if it's bad.

12. jools182

Nothing showed up after I ran the system file checker.
    It still seems very slow.

13. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

14. jools182

Tried the suggestions
    Was having a problem with my printer yesterday as it stated it was offline so I tried a re boot
    When trying to restart the machine it hung up on the 'windows is shutting down' screen

15. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

is it a HP multifunction printer?

try removing the driver and applications associated with it and see if it made a difference.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.