Windows Store app prices are increasing in April

Scorpus

Staff member

Prices of applications in the Windows Store on both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone are set to rise on April 13 for the vast majority of countries, as Microsoft is re-adjusting regional pricing across the globe to account for changes in currency exchange rates.

The change in app prices can be attributed to the rising value of the US dollar against many European currencies, which is why some nations in the region will be hit by price hikes of 20 per cent or more. Among the hardest hit are the United Kingdom, Russia, Scandinavian nations, Mexico, Poland and several South American countries.

Microsoft isn't raising the prices of apps for their home country, the United States, as the US Dollar is the company's base currency. App prices in regional Windows Stores are set relative to the US dollar, so any changes you see will reflect the current exchange rate.

For developers, the changes to app prices will occur automatically, so it might be worth heading into the Dev Center to see if any adjustments need to be made.

Microsoft isn't the only company to recently change the prices for their products based on fluctuating currencies. Two weeks ago, Apple raised the prices of their smartphones, laptops and more in many countries across the globe, in some cases pushing prices up considerably. If the US dollar continues to strengthen, expect other companies to follow suit.

Permalink to story.

WTH! So... you pay X of your currency for US$.

Now since it's rising you pay X+Y per US$.

Now Microsoft will make you pay more US$ for their app store because you are paying X+Y???, so you end up paying X+Y+Z for the apps?????

Because screw currencies!

WTH! So... you pay X of your currency for US$.

Now since it's rising you pay X+Y per US$.

Now Microsoft will make you pay more US$ for their app store because you are paying X+Y???, so you end up paying X+Y+Z for the apps?????

Because screw currencies!

No you've got the wrong end of it. The value of the USD is going up, and the prices abroad are changing to reflect that.
For example if £1=$2, then you'd pay £1 for a $2 app, but since the dollar's value is increasing it's more like £1=$1.25 therefor you must pay £1.60 for a $2 app. The actual -value- of the apps haven't changed, it's the currencies. Otherwise people in over countries are getting apps much cheaper.

Yeap, this year is gonna be painful for IT industry, unless US sales make up for lower sales in Euroland, Canada etc. I was looking for a PC replacement before Witcher, GTA, but decided to wait for Broadwell/Skylake, now I'm sorry, cause Haswell i5 platform went up like 30-35% over year in my local shop, and Skylake probably won't be cheaper. On the other hand, British Pound seems to be relatively strong so I don't understand this one.

No you've got the wrong end of it. The value of the USD is going up, and the prices abroad are changing to reflect that.
For example if £1=$2, then you'd pay £1 for a $2 app, but since the dollar's value is increasing it's more like £1=$1.25 therefor you must pay £1.60 for a $2 app. The actual -value- of the apps haven't changed, it's the currencies. Otherwise people in over countries are getting apps much cheaper.

Ok that makes sense, in my experience with Play Store, all the pricing is in US$ that will convert to your local currency and show you that price, so I've always seen the £1.60, and if the US$ is more stronger it will keep on updating the price. This sounds logic but didn't understand it this way.

They should just run on a US$ base pricing and then just do a currency exchange for your local currency.

Back