Windows System32 Config File Corrupt/missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane1976

Hello,i have been reading through the other threads on this error and i have tried whats been said,i try and boot from my original windows xp disk but it does not work,it will not boot it,the error message just comes up again,also by keying f8 and going to the last known configuration that worked does not work either,the error message just comes up yet again,also another very strange thing is happening,if i press any key besides f8 on the keyboard it reboots the pc,can anyone please help me with this,i really do not want to lose the contents of my hardrive,thankyou. Kane

boot into bios and MAKE SURE that the bootstrap is pointing to the rom drive only to force it to boot from cd.

If you can`t get the XP Repair option to work,

there is a good page HERE that gives you the options -

Basically use a Linux live CD,or putting the HD in another computer (Options 4 & 5).

I would advise you try option 4 (another computer).That will give you a chance to

drag any important files off before you start messing.

There are other guides for the same problem,if that one isn`t clear enough.

Hi,its been so long since ive gone into bios i cant remember how to get there,is it by tapping the delete key on startup? if so then i'm in trouble,i tried that earlier and it just rebooted the pc,please advise. Kane

Accessing bios

Thanks alot for your help,i have tried many of those key combinations though,the system just reboots every time. Kane

I don`t know why the BIOS won`t appear.

Make sure your pressing whatever key combinations immediately after

you power on
,and keep tapping the keys until it comes up.

If you leave it too late, the setup will continue,discover it can`t start,

and say "Press any key to reboot".

What is your computer/motherboard make and model ?

Success!

Hi,i managed to get into the bios,it was the keyboard at fault,i tried another one and it worked,i then managed to boot up with the windows disk,when i got to the type "r" to repair windows screen,i did so and then it said my hardrive could not be detected,very strange,so obviously some hardrive settings have been corrupted also somehow,ive had this system working fine since i built it a year ago,its a sata system with a p4vm800 socket 478 motherboard,3.0 ghz processor,200gb hardrive,if you can offer anymore advice on the hardrive non detection issue then i'd be pleased. thanks. Kane

In my first post I kind of predicted it wouldn`t work.:haha:

Your options are in the link I gave you.

If you do have access to another SATA computer,I would go for that option.

Either way you will have to read those instructions carefully.

Good luck.

Which utility disk was it ?

This is a fairly common problem,so people would like to know

the simplest fix.

Utility disk

Hi, its a disk i purchased off ebay last year, its just called "tools for your pc", no paticular brand name, its just a cd someones compiled to make easy money,regards. Kane

Hi Kane 1976,

I have the same problem with one of my pcs,I have been reading arround on bits and peices,I hear you say you swaped your keyboard because the one you was useing was dodgy! correct!
apparently a dodgy keyboard can cause this problem.I don't now how!
chuck it in the bin and buy a new one.

check this out
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back