Windows Task Manager Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now I am an IT tech, and I've experienced alot of different sorts of problems, but this one is stumping me. I'm running Windows XP Professional. I did have a virus on my computer, and I took care of that. The Task manager was disabled, so I fixed that problem after removing the virus. It worked for a short while, now however every time I try to open up Task Manager, it instantly tells me that it has encountered a problem and has to be closed. I'm at a complete loss. The only thing I could find that looked odd was in the registry string HKEY LOCAL USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/POLICIES/SYSTEM, there was no BHO called Disable Task Manager, which if I do remember correctly should be there. I added the BSO and it is still not working. If anyone has any advice, please share it with me. THank you so much

Chris

What kind of virus were you infected? How did you take care of it?

Have you tried reinstalling Win XP Pro? If you have Norton Ghost image backup, I suggest that you just reformat your HDD and pull out your last image backup that works properly.

My company was in a wrong IT strategy and we purchased Win XP Home for most of our systems. Even without virus attacking, our scheduler task manager does not work properly without some sort of TWEAK....

Hi, i cannot access my task manager either! I think I have a virus but my zonealarm suite cannot find it. I have done a hijack this scan but i have no idea what is good and what is bad. If i upload it can someone help?

fadedilluzions said:
Ok, now I am an IT tech, and I've experienced alot of different sorts of problems, but this one is stumping me. I'm running Windows XP Professional. I did have a virus on my computer, and I took care of that. The Task manager was disabled, so I fixed that problem after removing the virus. It worked for a short while, now however every time I try to open up Task Manager, it instantly tells me that it has encountered a problem and has to be closed. I'm at a complete loss. The only thing I could find that looked odd was in the registry string HKEY LOCAL USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/POLICIES/SYSTEM, there was no BHO called Disable Task Manager, which if I do remember correctly should be there. I added the BSO and it is still not working. If anyone has any advice, please share it with me. THank you so much

If you're an It Tech, you should be aware of the excellent troubleshooting Event Viewer. Since you don't mention checking it, here are the instructrions:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

If you would like to paste the Error(s) here, okay. Please follow the copy instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back