Windows 'Threshold' may bring back the Start menu

Scorpus

Staff member

One of the significant changes made in Windows 8 was the removal of the Start menu, which was a major feature of every version of Windows from Windows 95 to Windows 7. However if the latest report from Microsoft expert Paul Thurrott is to be believed, the Start menu might be returning in an update codenamed 'Threshold' that was detailed last week.

Thurrott believes the Start menu will be an optional desktop-only component and will be included only with the versions of Windows with the desktop. Touch-centric versions, which are eventually set to ditch the desktop mode entirely, won't have access to the Start menu and will continue using the Start screen as the main (and only) UI.

The choice by Microsoft to remove the Start menu initially caused a lot of negative feedback in the community, especially as its replacement - the Start screen - was harder to use on non-touch devices. 'Threshold' seems like it will be continuing what Windows 8.1 started and addressing some of the major complaints with Windows 8.

The Start menu won't be the only new feature in Threshold: it's rumored that Microsoft will finally enable power users to run Metro-style applications in floating windows on the desktop. Currently Metro-style apps run in full-screen mode (unless you use a third-party tool), which isn't the best for those with desktop PCs and lots of screen real estate. Again, Microsoft is listening to user feedback and looking to introduce an oft-requested feature.

Mary Jo Foley also released some information today on the likely SKUs that Windows 'Threshold' will come in. The first SKU will be designed for touch-centric devices, focusing on Metro-style apps and possibly available for both ARM- and x86-based devices. There won't be any desktop in this version, and it will run on phones, tablets and some other mainstream devices.

The other two SKUs are for more traditional users: one would be consumer-focused and include a desktop mode alongside keyboard/mouse optimizations; and the other will be enterprise-focused, seeing less frequent updates as well as a range of business-oriented configuration options.

Threshold is expected to be released in the first half of 2015, with a smaller update to Windows (known as Windows 8.1 Update 1) expected before it in 2014.

Permalink to story.

OMG, have we finally got MS to listen? Just when I decided to stop complaining and to forget about MS in the future. I remember reading several complains that are addressed in this article. Now if only this is true!

I think I also distinctly remember a member (and yes I remember which one) plainly telling me, MS would not be bringing back the Start Menu. Only time will tell.

So it looks like Microsoft is liking this 3 year Windows cycle... Which would be great if they used Apple-like pricing for the OS.

On the plus side, looks like somebody at MS is actually listening to the power users (and non-touch users), and figuring out that that demographic probably comprises most of the IT departments they need to WANT new operating systems.

"Again, Microsoft is listening to user feedback and looking to introduce an oft-requested feature."

Yes, IF there's a speck of truth to any of these rumors (which all seem to originate from a single source). This could easily be purposeful disinformation meant to boost MSFT's stock price. However, if that were actually the case then I'd be looking at who gains the most from a pump n' dump. It would likely be someone with a foot already out the door.

Make the start menu optional on all devices...whats the big deal....
I mean this is great, but still...

Not really sure what Microsoft was thinking when they made Win 8.1.

How am I suppose to use my setup effectivly with the Metro UI? Ever seen Skype in fullscreen across 3 monitors at 5760x1080 resolution? Haha!

I hade to bypass Metro and go directly to desktop mode, and also add a 3rd party start menu...

2013-12-10%2002.38.31.jpg

You know, I just got an idea... Maybe Microsoft got rid of the start menu because there's no start menu in Mac OS X? I mean, they've always been ripping off Mac OS X... I just don't see any other explanation. But even in Mac OS X there's a LaunchPad, with all applications, and there was an application folder before that. But it's really funny how listening to its users is the last thing the Microsoft does, what a dictatorship.

Too little, MS. Get rid of Metro entirely ffs.

I should have added that Metro needs a major overhaul. Why are they pushing this absurd two-color design aesthetic that's an offense to the eyes and makes everything indistinct and harder to find? "Hot zones" are also a ridiculous mechanic - that's why they didn't gain any traction in the early XP days. We've had over a decade of 32-bit visual richness. The on-screen program status and management area (I.e. taskbar, launcher, sidebar) is a proven, easily understood interface. Yes, there's room for improvement but there's no sense in reinventing the wheel here. Metro's navigation provides nearly zero context, wastes huge amounts of screen real estate and takes too long to use. Nobody wants a UI that looks like a cross between a mall kiosk and a JC Penny's ad from 1991. It isn't more mature or sophisticated, it's doesn't add "neutrality" to the experience..its just homely and hard to use. And don't even get me started on the bizarre gestures. Windows needs a central notification and update system that authorized third parties can plug into: its nearly 2014 and we still have a bunch of little programs eating up system resources just to check for new versions of this or that. Microsoft also needs to revisit the sidebar concept, which could easily be reintroduced thanks to the new addition of the desktop/Metro "divider". Live tiles make a ton of sense as desktop companions (esp. if they mesh well with the look and feel, I.e. high color icons, etc).

You know, I just got an idea... Maybe Microsoft got rid of the start menu because there's no start menu in Mac OS X? I mean, they've always been ripping off Mac OS X... I just don't see any other explanation. But even in Mac OS X there's a LaunchPad, with all applications, and there was an application folder before that. But it's really funny how listening to its users is the last thing the Microsoft does, what a dictatorship.
I'm fairly certain MS got rid of the Start Menu, because they were butt hurt over people ignoring their "Windows Phone". And now they are starting to realize that their desktop solution to the Windows Phone OS problem is being ignored.

I have a feeling Microsoft is trolling with us again. Just like how they bring back the "Start" button in 8.1

Only reason Microsoft is doing this is because, unlike some chimpanzees who dropped their pants, bent over, and said, "Right here Microsoft, right here, do me first!!!!" the majority of people who run a Windows operating system have no real interest in Windows 8. I never tried it, I never supported it with one red cent of my own money, and my stance appears to be paying off.

So Microsoft hasn't been and is by no means listening to their customers. They are listening to their wallets.

Only reason Microsoft is doing this is because, unlike some chimpanzees who dropped their pants, bent over, and said, "Right here Microsoft, right here, do me first!!!!" the majority of people who run a Windows operating system have no real interest in Windows 8. I never tried it, I never supported it with one red cent of my own money, and my stance appears to be paying off.

So Microsoft hasn't been and is by no means listening to their customers. They are listening to their wallets.

insightful post most aptly put.

Initially, M$ said they noticed we weren't using the start menu anymore, and that's why it was omitted. 2015 is still a long ways away...

"I'm fairly certain Windows 7 does not have Metro UI. Your equation is flawed with even visual references. Please stop trolling and post what you know (even if you are misinformed) to be true!"

I'm another guess but I will fix that for you:

Windows 8.1 + Start Menu + Aero = Windows 7 + Metro UI < Windows 7

Not really sure what Microsoft was thinking when they made Win 8.1.

How am I suppose to use my setup effectivly with the Metro UI? Ever seen Skype in fullscreen across 3 monitors at 5760x1080 resolution? Haha!

I hade to bypass Metro and go directly to desktop mode, and also add a 3rd party start menu...

2013-12-10%2002.38.31.jpg

I don't normally read Guests posts and have anything decent to say but your image link was just outstanding, How Microsoft managed to screw up Metro that badly, I will never know xD

I only used Windows 8 for a month or two when it was first released (I had used it on and off before hand) and I just went back to Windows 7, everything is just quicker to find in 7, Also found Windows Updates was more stable in 7 and boot time was slightly better on the same hardware on Windows 7. Application compatibility was also an issue with some phone system software I used, Windows 7, it worked fine, Windows 8, not so much.

Haven't bothered with Windows 8.1 and to be honest I think the market share speaks volumes, Windows 8.x is growing much slower than Windows 7, Windows 7 is outselling Windows 8.x.

Sounds to me like they are taking concepts from Stardock and implementing them one-by-one:

- The return of main menu (Stardock Start8 product)
- Running metro apps in a window (Stardock Object Desktop product)
- Grouping icons is next? (Stardock Fences)

Why won't they just buy Stardock and incorporate the whole lot into the next Windows?

On several sites I saw this nonsense about start menu and been hearing this for some time now. all I can say is: just grow up! all the start button whiners need to step out of childhood.

yesterday I had to do some service on a win xp sp3 and I really miss the win key and start typing thing. to me start menu seems so laborious and it gets worse the more apps you have. start screen is also slow but at least it can show me some data... so far weather data for several city is what I ever use it for. I don't even look at the start screen as win + type is so fast and seamless comapred to start menu/start screen.

modern apps is another thing but they don't make much sense for classic destops. start menu is for phones/tablets/tvs.

now stop whining and do something useful!

On several sites I saw this nonsense about start menu and been hearing this for some time now. all I can say is: just grow up! all the start button whiners need to step out of childhood.
Do you really have to insult people? Why did Microsoft add it back? Because it's majority users want it back. You are part of minority. Sorry, your vote didn't win.

yesterday I had to do some service on a win xp sp3 and I really miss the win key and start typing thing. to me start menu seems so laborious and it gets worse the more apps you have. start screen is also slow but at least it can show me some data... so far weather data for several city is what I ever use it for. I don't even look at the start screen as win + type is so fast and seamless comapred to start menu/start screen.
Only the power and knowledge users can do this. My grandma and grandpa don't even know what name of apps. They have no idea what to type to find the stuff. Like does the 'Internet Explorer' tell you what it is? No, it doesn't. It means nothing as it doesn't tell you that it's web browser. They have no idea about the hot key and hot spot to click on because it isn't visible at all. The start menu is visible and very easy for them to find it first time without require to read the manual. They can click on it to find out what it is. You can't type like that without know right name of apps or some keywords.

now stop whining and do something useful!
Uh? Do you really have to be rude? Sorry dude, that was users' feedback and Microsoft is listening to them. The majority has won.

Back