Windows unable to start after new mobo/CPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgamer808

Well first thing's first, here the specs before and after:

BEFORE:
e-machines PC
Mobo: Unknown manufacturer, (IM845GL) (stock)
CPU: 2.2 Celeron (stock)
RAM: 1 gig DDR 266/333 (Put in myself, PC still ran fine)
VID: ATI RADEON 9250 256MB (I put this in myself, PC still worked fine)
HDD: Unknown manufacturer, (WDC WD400EB-00CPF0) (stock)

AFTER:
Mobo: Gigabyte P4 Titan, (GA-81865GVMK) (Put in by myself)
CPU: P4 3.2 HTT (Put in by myself)
RAM: 1 gig DDR 266/333 (Put in by myself)
VID: ATI RADEON 9250 256MB (Put in by myself)
HDD: Unknown manufacturer, (WDC WD400EB-00CPF0) (stock)

Computer seemed to work fine with the new vid card and RAM, just labeled them so you all know what went on, not to brag or anything :approve:

My problem:
Windows will not start! I turn on the PC, the initial diagnostic stuff on black screen happens, then it gives me a message saying something along the lines of "We are sorry for the inconvenience, but windows could not start properly. This could be due to a recent hardware or software change or an unexpected shutdown/restart"

After that, I'm given a bunch of choices:
Restart in Safe Mode
Restart in Safe Mode with networking
Restart in Safe Mode with command prompt
Use last working settings
Start Windows Normally

I've tried each and every one of these, all of them end up restarting the computer, only to eventually return to the same error screen like a big endless loop.

I've tried using the restore disk that e-machines gave me with the PC, but that didn't work.

I've tried deleting/recreating the partition then reinstalling from the e-machines restore disk, but that didn't work.

I've tried swapping RAM slots and toggling the HT technology, but nothing.

Right now I'm thinking that e-machines made it so that if you aren't using their main parts, their bundle software and OS will not work. Other than that, I have no clue what to do! :dead:

I'm fairly new to this (had some practice in school on older PCs and one or two newer models, but this is my biggest project so far), and am under a bit of stress at the moment, so if I forgot to post some sort of info or anything, let me know. Thanks in advance to all.

because you changed so much (namely your chipset), you will need to reinstall windows. once you install windows on a computer using a given motherboard, you cannot change motherboards without running into the same problems you are having now. i don't know if emachines gave you an actual copy of windows or a system restore cd or some other crap. if you have the latter, you're probably going to be buying yourself a frest copy of windows.

Thanks!

Ahhh crap. I figured that might be the reason. E-machines did give just a restore disc so I guess I'll be dishing out some more for an OS. Luckily CompUSA is having a sale on WINXP Home :bounce: . Well at least now I know it isn't a hardware malfunction. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back