Windows Update crashing constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoni_v

I'm running Windows XP home edition SP2, and I've always been able to download updates automatically. For the last two or three months that doesn't happen anymore, so I've started trying to go to the Windows Update website (or using the link in Help an Support).

In both cases it tells me first that it's checking to see if my computer has the latest version of the Windows Update software installed, mentioning ActiveX controls etc.

Somewhere during that checking process it gives an error.
"Microsoft Help and Support Center has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Or

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

(Depending on which app I used to access the update site.)

The information about the error is as follows:

AppName: helpctr.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: wuweb.dll
ModVer: 5.8.0.2469 Offset: 00018003

It also creates the attached file.

I've tried clearing the cache. I've tried using Firefox (it just closes without warning at the point where IE crashes). I've tried accessing the update service about 15 times. No luck.

Can someone please tell me what is broken and how I can fix it? Is there a magical place where I can download an executable version of the Windows Update software?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

XP Repair seems to have worked! I can access the update site now without crashing.

Thanks very much for the suggestion!

A simpler fix may have been soing a System File Check (sfc.exe) I noticed the error named a dll as the culprit. Whatever, the repair install did the trick and getting it working is the bottom line.

Mmm, if I ever get this problem again I'll try the file check idea first ... the repair works, true, but I now have to download something like 660mb worth of updates ... which means I lost everything I already had. Sigh.

Given that my bandwitdh cap is 500Mb per month, this poses something of a problem :)

leoni_v,
If this happens again besides doing what almcneil said, spyware or a Trojan virus may be causing this...

Clean and check your system with the proven tools available on the site

Thanks Tmagic650, I will have a look. I am running McAfee Antivirus, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, and have been since I got this computer. One would think that should be enough ;-)

Make sure McAfee is fully updated and that it's virus definitions are current... So many people have no idea if their antivirus programs are working or not

It looks okay to me ;-)

Definitions 29/06/2007
Checked every day

But anyway, looks like everything is working as it should now. I'll keep an eye on the antivirus and possible spyware as you suggested, and hope for the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back