Windows update does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Hi there!
I am going nuts. I just had to repair Windows because I got a new mobo. Automatic updates sometimes work and most of the time says it cannot install updates. When I try to access the windows update website it tells me that I have a Mac and should update from the windows/mac website.
Can someone help? I am about to take this brand new thing and smash it with my good old sledge.

A 'repair' installation is unlikely to work on a new motherboard. You need a FRESH installation of Windows to pick up the new motherboard features, install the correct drivers etc etc.

Unless you have a full installation CD, you are out of luck, since the restore partitions supplied by most mainstream PC suppliers is locked to THEIR motherboards alone.

I finally ended up using the WinXP manager by Yamicsoft and restored all of the system files to their original state. That totally messed up with most of my tweaks, but it almost fixed all of the problems. I finally gave up at about 7 in the morning and simply installed a brand new Vista Home Primeum. Too bad though. Cause even though Vista runs just fine on this PC I have hard time playing games. I only have 1Gig of RAM. I'll try using the Ready boost see if there is any improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back