Windows Update in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

If I'm using Firefox, is there any real reason to leave Windows Update turned on? Aren't most of the fixes for Internet Explorer? In another related question, if I don't leave Update turned on, then go to the Microsoft page to do it manually, I get some message that says I can't download any updates unless I have auto update turned on on my computer. So I guess the bottom line is, how do you handle the whole update situation?

No, I think most updates have been for the OS and other components recently. And besides, even if you don't run the IE browser, many other programs make use of the IE engine and expose you to IE vulnerabilities.

You need to have the automatic updates service enabled. You do not have to enable automatic updates itself (just disable it in the AU properties).

When you turn on Automatic Updates Windows always asks you if you want to download updates. If you don't want to update Internet Explorer you can just uncheck its updates when Windows offers you to download updates.

In any case Windows updates are very important. It is the first step in keeping your system clean and infection free.

Okay, thanks. That's very helpful--although a lot of supposed experts say to turn off auto updates, maybe they are saying the same thinng nodsu is saying--to keep the service on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back