Windows Update/.Net Passport Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerGuy55

Ok, so I have a weird one for all of you. Got a laptop here, reloaded it with Windows Vista Home Premium, had SP1 & SP2 on a flash drive, installed them, perfect.

Now I go to run windows update's and it has an error code (80072EDF) I have tried all of Microsofts fixes for this problem, and nothing works. I have also tried a few other suggestions that have fixed this problem for other people, such as stopping the Windows Update service, renaming the SoftwareDistribtion folder, then restarting the service to re-create the folder for default settings.

I came across one post relating the error code to MSN Messenger and the .Net Passport. I was curious and tried to loggin to Hotmail.com and, suprise suprise, it wouldn't let me in. Since Microsoft and Windows Live Mail are both Microsoft based, I'm thinking this passport issue could be my problem.

In the post, someone suggested to use MSN Messenger to do the trouble shooting tool and that should fix it, but it didn't, told me I had Key Port issues but it would not repair.

Any idea on how this problem could be fixed? I have no firewalls installed, its a fresh install of Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell laptop, with SP2 on it.

PS. There are no proxy settings on the laptop and the updates work on several other machines.

UPDATE: Ok so I'm not too sure what I did, I went for lunch, came back, still wouldn't do the updates, so I restarted, pulled out the ethernet cord, connected by wireless, then it saw there were updates, so I plugged the ethernet back in and now their downloading. So I'm not to sure if just, unplugging the cord fixed it or what, but it seems to be working.

Update 2: Ok so it seems to be an Ethernet problem. When the ethernet cord is plugged in, I can't connect to hotmail, but I can now update. But while on wireless, I can do anything.. Weird. I have turned off TCP/IP V6, still no luck.

How did you reload this OS on a Genuine MS Vista disc? What happens if you don't use the flash drive and use a network computer to install the SP instead of the flash drive?

Yes it is a genuine MS Vista Disc, it is just from the company of Dell and used for this laptop. I don't think the service pack installation would be a problem as I have used it for many other computers, and they seem to work just fine.

I can't do anything involving .Net Passport, I don't think the SP2 would have anything to do with that, but I will try a re-install of the SP2.

Yes it is a genuine MS Vista Disc, it is just from the company of Dell and used for this laptop. I don't think the service pack installation would be a problem as I have used it for many other computers, and they seem to work just fine.

I can't do anything involving .Net Passport, I don't think the SP2 would have anything to do with that, but I will try a re-install of the SP2.

DELL Latitude? So this is a DELL what OS did it come with? You say Vista genuine disc from DELL.. When you say it installed on many other computers are they the same type or this is a newer model? Did you install SP1 then install SP2 is that how your doing it?

Since you can't update the SP or Windows Update Installer is corrupted. Best to wipe out the laptop HDD with HDDGURU this will blow it out then install the OS fresh from the disc. Go and download a fresh copy of the SP2 from MS onto that HDD do it that way and see if that works out for you. Just sounds like something is corrupted somewhere.

DELL Latitude? So this is a DELL what OS did it come with? You say Vista genuine disc from DELL.. When you say it installed on many other computers are they the same type or this is a newer model? Did you install SP1 then install SP2 is that how your doing it?

Since you can't update the SP or Windows Update Installer is corrupted. Best to wipe out the laptop HDD with HDDGURU this will blow it out then install the OS fresh from the disc. Go and download a fresh copy of the SP2 from MS onto that HDD do it that way and see if that works out for you. Just sounds like something is corrupted somewhere.

It is a Dell Inspiron, and the Dell came with Vista, the CD is the one that came with the laptop. I didn't use this CD on other machines as it is a DELL only copy, it would not work correctly on other machines. I use SP1 and SP2 off the flash drive and use it on other computers and it works fine. And i had to install SP1 then SP2, vista does not let you install Sp2 without Sp1 in first.

I don't think I need to reinstall, I have done SFC /scannow which would replace corrupt files and it still doesn't work. I think the laptop is just having passport issues and it is not being verified by the servers. Either somehow it is being blocked or the file is corrupt like you say. I would just like to see if there is a fix, or if anyone else has encountered this problem and fixed it without a re-install.

It is a Dell Inspiron, and the Dell came with Vista, the CD is the one that came with the laptop. I didn't use this CD on other machines as it is a DELL only copy, it would not work correctly on other machines. I use SP1 and SP2 off the flash drive and use it on other computers and it works fine. And i had to install SP1 then SP2, vista does not let you install Sp2 without Sp1 in first.

I don't think I need to reinstall, I have done SFC /scannow which would replace corrupt files and it still doesn't work. I think the laptop is just having passport issues and it is not being verified by the servers. Either somehow it is being blocked or the file is corrupt like you say. I would just like to see if there is a fix, or if anyone else has encountered this problem and fixed it without a re-install.

Best thing to do is re-install the OS. Next time don't use the passport to install the SP1/SP2 updates. Did you scan the Passport for errors on the drive? Also do a cmd/ defrag (passport drive letter) /F

I didn't install using the passport, I did a regular OS install with the Dell CD, like a normal install. The way it installs it self is weird I guess, I've installed it 3 times, and all 3 times the ethernet doesn't connect to microsoft updates, doesn't go to hotmail, but the wireless will, so I don't know, it's messed up, I updated the first post.

I don't know what the problem is exactly, if it even is a passport issue, I install it regularly and it just doesn't seem to want to let microsoft products go through. It's messed up, first time I've ever seen this, I can only blame Dell for their lame excuse for Laptop lol. Either way, if someone figures out a fix for this ethernet issue, after a fresh install and stuff, regular install, no changes, then message back.

I didn't install using the passport, I did a regular OS install with the Dell CD, like a normal install. The way it installs it self is weird I guess, I've installed it 3 times, and all 3 times the ethernet doesn't connect to microsoft updates, doesn't go to hotmail, but the wireless will, so I don't know, it's messed up, I updated the first post.

I don't know what the problem is exactly, if it even is a passport issue, I install it regularly and it just doesn't seem to want to let microsoft products go through. It's messed up, first time I've ever seen this, I can only blame Dell for their lame excuse for Laptop lol. Either way, if someone figures out a fix for this ethernet issue, after a fresh install and stuff, regular install, no changes, then message back.

DELL CD is licensed to that PC correct? There was some talk about how many times you could install and use the CD. Check with DELL and tall them what the problem you're having. Could be some hardware issues.

Seems that it might be their Ethernet card, before they needed a reinstall they had issues with it before too, I'm thinking it's just a faulty card, but they use wireless so I don't see it being a big problem. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back