TechSpot

Windows Update Not Updating

By indianadj
Nov 23, 2004
  1. My first post.
    I have an HP Pavillion running XP. This computer did not come with installation discs. It has something called "System Recovery" which rests on a partition of the hard drive for reinstalling windows. Unfortunately as a result of my computer being hijacked and taking over my notepad (which I didn't even know had happened) I did a system recovery, never knowing how drastic it would be. It essentially took my computer back two years to when I bought it. I'm fairly certain it wiped out all the windows updates on my puter. And now in my c:windows folder, there are all these files like this one:
    $NtUninstallKB828028$ which contain service pack uninstalls.
    Okay I'm saying this not knowing for sure if the system recovery I did is responsible for what I'm about to tell you, but it's background.
    The PROBLEM is:
    I go to windowsupdate.com and nothing happens. Just sits there. No updates appear. I know my service pack 2 install is gone too. What can I do? HELP!

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Try downloading SP2 from this link -> Windows XP SP2 English

Once you've reinstalled SP2, see if you can do a Windows update.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

3. indianadj

indianadj TS Rookie Topic Starter

i'm downloading it now, but will it install if all my previous service packs aren't there now?

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

The dile you're downloading is a full SP2 install file meaning you can even install it on a Windows XP that doesn't even have SP1 installed. It shouldn't be a problem if your previous updates are no longer there. Once SP2 is installed run a Windows update as there have been a few critical patches released since SP2.

5. indianadj

Okay you were correct. SP2 installed. And I had HIGH hopes for windows update working. It's still sitting there. Now what?

6. indianadj

My antivirus also has told me I'm infected with the following:
    C:\progra~1\intern~1\zefqeea.exe

7. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

I don't know about the virus, but if Automatic updates is not on automatic in your services, updates will not run. Go to Start/Run, and type "services.msc", (without quote marks), and look very near the top of the page for Automatic Updates. Status and Startup Type, should be set to Started and Automatic. If it's not, right click on it and select startup type, Automatic, and then service status, Start. Maybe that will help your update problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.