Windows update, simply won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I am trying to update windows XP, and I go to scan for updates, and it finds 9 of them. So I try to install them all at once. It ususally tells you when you have to install one seperately. Well I go through the screen that says accept, then it goes to the web page dialog box for windows update. It is stuck on preparing to download for 7 hours. I have restarted it, restarted my computer, all to no avail. I have even tried to install them one at a time, that has no luck either.

Recent changes:
Completely uninstall Nero 5.5.5.4 (remove all registry settings ahead and nero)
Install Nero 6

If anyone else is experiencing this problem or has a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

I have tried this solution that worked for others, and it won't work for me.

Resolutions:
>Please re-register the following files:
> regsvr32 msscript.ocx
> regsvr32 dispex.dll
> regsvr32 vbscript.dll
> regsvr32 scrrun.dll
>
>1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
>2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."
>3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.
>
>Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:
>1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."
>2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."
>3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains: C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe
>"%1" %* This is for a Windows XP computer. For Windows 2000 substitute the C:\WINDOWS\
>with C:\Winnt\. For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition substitute this: C:\WINDOWS\System\
>for C:\Windows\system32.

One other thing I thougth about trying was going back to a restore point from a few days ago and trying that way. I will give that a shot when I get home, unless somene has something else here

wasnt their some sort of patch released not to long ago to resolve problems with windows update?

try utilizing your system restore

or just flat out reinstall the os .....more corruption issues i believe ..........
unless of course nero 6 erased your hard drive :grinthumb that's a joke, poert

No - it's the discussion box on your IE status bar. Turn it off and go back to the windows update site. It's under View>Explorer Bar>Discuss

I had that problem once myself.

LNCPapa

I have cleared all temp internet files as well as cleared wutemp, and it still doesn't work.

I will try the status bar thing when I get home papa.

JSR, I would be so pissed if Nero did that, as far as reinstalling goes, I need to, but don't want to have to reinstall everything :(

no, i here ya

do what papa/phant says.......but, it will not lose anything............just repair windows...............so, yeah, it does take me about twenty minutes to get that accomplished, but, anything corrupt will have been repaired.......the thing that seals this approach if what papa/phant doesn't work, is that you will have to update with all of your critical files............there's your test
oh, and if by chance, it has been awhile since you last backed up your drive.......after the repair, updates/do the backup, until nero gets that issue resolved

Papa, I've got a problem now. I tried to do that discussion thing you said. Now everytime I open IE it asks me to input a discussion channel. I am glad I did this at work before I got home, because that would piss me off if everytime I open a new window it asks me for a discussion channel.

Anyway do you know how to turn it off? Also I have never clicked on that or done anything with it before.

New update, it appears that problem only persisted when I had the original window open that I went to discuss on. Once I closed that it quit asking. Just a little clarification on that part.

I think I am now down to restoring

I did have the same thing happen to me once. turned out that the windows installer was corrupted. have you tried installing anything since uninstalling nero?( besides windows updates that is) I didnt have the option to restore at the time since I was using windows 98 then. hope restore works for you since I have seen corruption of the windows installer cause problems with the restore function in ME and XP.

if restore doesnt work or if you want to check prior to trying a restore you could run system file checker. by opening a command prompt and typing.

sfc/scannow

this will have windows scan all protected files.

Well restore didn't work, but I am checking the files now. I hope that is a solution iss, because I am about to simply give up and let it be.

Well that didn't work either, I am content on just giving up on it. It has been such a headache and I have been searching the net, and pretty much everything leads to format and reinstall, if you cannot get one of the above solutions to work. :( We'll see how long it takes me to do that.

sorry to hear that but I had a feeling that restore wasnt going to work. before you throw the computer out the window. ( if SFC doesnt help.) you could try using recovery console by booting off the XP disk.

my guess would be that nero 6 caused corruption in your windows installer.

or you could try a repair install here is an excellent article on it.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Try looking in 'Internet Options' under 'Security' tab. Select 'Trusted Sites' zone and then click on 'Default Level'. This may not work, but its worth a try just in case something changed your settings. You might also try adding the microsoft website to the trusted sites list on that tab. No guarantees that any of this will work, but it shouldn't take long to try out. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back