Windows update + various problems again

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimera15

Windows update + various problems

Hi all,

This is my first posting here, but I've read your forums for a long time to troubleshoot various problems. Most of the time I've been very impressed, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I have a large annoyance and headache with one of my systems(windows xp pro sp2 oem, dell c640) that's been going on for almost a year now that maybe you all can help me solve.

I've been attempting to troubleshoot this problem on and off for a year now with no success, I've tried almost every solution I can find, but nothing works.

//These are the symptoms: Windows updates won't download from the update site, I get a variety of errors, it will download then give me various error codes, which almost always don't apply to my problem, or the green bar will just keep going and never stop. Sometimes the page will simply not even load. I can't install ie7, and many device driver installs seem to hang.

Auto update freezes at 0%. I've read this can be caused by a windows repair, which I did as a result of this problem as an attempted solution, but to no avail. Add or remove programs fails to come up with a list of installed programs.

If I have the windows update related services turned on, on my system, it will permanently hang on shutdown, on the log off screen, and never shut off.//

I've tried all the various regsvr32 commands, tried playing around with the services, done a windows repair install, a sfc /scannow, as well as numerous other fixes.

Does anyone have a definite fix for this? I read there's a possible fix that was released from Microsoft a while ago, but all the links to the file seem to be dead.

Thanks for any help!

Here's a hijack log. I'm especially concerned about the entry which mentions that the internet is broken..but can't find much on this error..anyone know what it means? I also notice svchost is launched at least 5 times.
Running processes:(some deleted) too long

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing

I think that one entry about the internet being damaged was the key. I downloaded lspfix and autoupdates is loading now, and the rest seems to be working as well...so happy day...hijack this rules ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back