TechSpot

Windows Vista help

By rypivolks
Jul 26, 2008
  1. we have been having problems with are hp pavilion dv2000. it wont start windows at all. i guess in these forums you guys call it the blue screen of death.

i hit F2 and ran a hard drive self test:

quick test passed
    comprehensive test passed

it says test status 00pass what dose that mean?

what else can i do?

i also did the windows recovery thing but it did nothing

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. rypivolks

rypivolks TS Rookie Topic Starter

i just did a memory check and that passed to. so i tried the hp recovery manger and it siad that it cant because there are errors in the c: drive. so i did a hard drive check and it fixed all the errors and it still wont boot. it keeps on bringing me back to the windows error recovery screen. i have ran that test a half a dozen times and still brings up that screen.

4. kimsland

Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
    System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
    Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
    Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

5. rypivolks

i tried the star up repair and it doesn't do anything. do i just keep doing it?

6. kimsland

I'd say System Restore

7. rypivolks

i tried that and it keeps saying that the c: drive has errors. so i run the test(consistency) for the c: drive and it comes up good. what is going on?

8. kimsland

9. rypivolks

so i tried a system recovery and it asked me if i wanted to back up my files before i did it. so i said yes. then it said "please insert a USB drive". so i put in a 512mb flash drive. still nothing so then i tried a cd still nothing then i also tried a sd card and still nothing.

10. kimsland

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.