Windows Vista - random BSOD - logs attached

Motaro

Hi need some help, blue screen of death at random times, not sure what the issue is, no file is listed on the BSOD itself, just a mention of drivers. I know BSOD can be caused by bad drivers, bad memory stick(s), or overheating. It has been hot here but I'm not so sure it's the heat. I've seen other people attach their logs and you guys interpret it, thought I could try it, thanks.

Attachments

• crashes.zip
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
One error is 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers or mismatched or faulty memory. It simply cited hardware as the cause.

The second error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are a good indicator of corrupted memory. This file too simply cited hardware as the cause.

The third error 0x50 didn't cite anything specifically but these are caused by requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

In light of these error codes we want you to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Hey thanks really appreciate your thorough post and in depth analysis of my problem. I will run these tests and get back to you. Let me ask, how did you know what problem each code referred to? Thanks

Do you know how to access the BIOS and read the memory voltage? If so then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

I looked up the voltage of the ram(1.8v), then looked in BIOS to match it up, but BIOS listed no ram voltage. It's one of those very basic HP motherboard BIOS's, can't change ram settings or even view the timings/voltage.

To give you those .dmp logs I went to Control Panel>Problem Reports And Solutions>View Problem History. I just gave you the 3 that were under the Category 'Windows'. There are other categories in there like Explorer, with their own errors. Is it worth giving you the.dmp from any of those? Thanks

Yeah, that is one of the significant problems with a built system from Dell, HP, etc.: Limited BIOS access.

Give us whatever information you can.

Actually I didn't realize those other errors don't have .dmp files, they're very basic. I can't believe Vista can't just tell you what's causing the problem, it's pretty ridiculous. I might have to reformat my entire computer because of one little driver, or whatever it is.

Here is the thing about reformatting: If hardware is the issue as two of the three minidumps cite than reformatting will not resolve the issue. Do you have any more minidump files?

I don't think so, just those 3. They were under the Windows category. The other categories only have "copy to clipboard" as an option, not the option to view .dmp.

What hardware could be causing it? I already checked the RAM and the RAM was fine.

Okay, we're going to do a harddrive diagnosis. Go to Seagates website and search for their free harddrive diagnostic utility called SeaTools for Windows.

Download the ISO file to the desktop. Now double-click that file and you should be able to burn that to a CD using whatever burning program you have.

Does your BIOS at least let you change the boot order of your drives? If so place your CD/DVD drive as First Bootable. If it doesn't allow still do the following.

With CD in drive reboot the system and SeaTools will almost immediately take over. Do the tests in this order: S.M.A.R.T., Short DST and especially the Long DST.

Back