windows vista VERY high requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrisdurrani

I was just reading the system requirments for Windows Vista and from what i see you need a pretty darn powerful computer for it... i guess most of the people will still be stuck with XP...

what do you people think

I think it will be quite awhile before Vista is worth it for me to shell out some serious bucks. I think XP still has a lot of life left and I don't see too many applications out there that support 64 bit, let alone Vista (which really isn't out yet in full force.)

Only if you enable and use the fancy 3D effects of the "Aero Glass" interface. Which uses 3D and transparent effects, will you need a power video card.

The way I see it, why would someone want an OS that already is using half your resources for itself? That doesn't leave much to your programs/games. The OS is supposed to just be a shell to organize and run other things. I don't see why it has to be such a resource hog. I guess MS is trying to force people to upgrade their hardware. I don't know.

i guess if vista was "just be a shell to organize and run other things" then people would just stick with XP. MS need to add fancy features so people buy it.

I will most definitely wait a year or more before buying Vista. Because things will probably fly the way they did when XP first came out. That is, full of bugs, getting hit with new viruses every day, huge services packs coming out, incompatibilities with programs, not so great support for old hardware still in use, system requirements not being met by upgraders, etc, etc, etc.

We didn't start selling XP with new systems until after SP1 came out, had to many issues with motherboards and CPUs not being supported right.
I would expect the same outcome, if not more so, from Vista. Being that for the most part it will either be missing features, or have beta software installed. Think about it, brand new graphic core, brand new file system, brand new IE etc. A years worth of bug fixes and a nice, fat, service pack. Then maybe I'll jump on.
And of course, it would be best to have Vista on a x64 platform.

3 years ago the mantra was, "get XP on a new system, but don't bother putting it on your old box unless your hardware is less then a year old."
I expect the same with Vista. Get it on a new build, or if you have newer hardware.

That's just my opinion.

am just slightly confused here... how do you actually make a 64 bit system...
cause i have an amd athlon 3200+ 64 bit... ?? what exactly does that mean

You already have a 64bit CPU. (Windowz XP is a 32bit operating system)

In order to use your Athlon 64 in 64 bit mode, you must have a 64 bit OS like Windows 64 or Windows Vista (which isn't out yet)

There is not a whole lot of driver support and software available for 64bit mode yet.

with winfs, is it possible that a computer could in fact just become one big database - you could network another to ist and have a database cluster?

will developers start usng winfs in much the same way as php curently uses MySQL for web applications, or use it in a fr more complicated way. Will winfs allow for a more intelligent system (or even an almost artificial intelligence?).

If any of the above is true or possible, would it justify the increased memory requirements for vista, even for those not running the aero interface?

This video might interrest those who are interrested. Um, ya.
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=92834

They talk about the different things of Vista. But Spike, I think that WinFS is much more database driven, yet I don't remember them talking about WHAT database, or if it's an actual database like a database file somewhere. I'm curious as to the details of that as well.
As usual, though, MS will provide access to it only through their NEW system programming interface named WinFX. WinFX will replace the current Win32 API, but at first probably won't have access to WinFS, because FS won't be released yet! So from a programmers point of view, perhaps they'll have to learn some new code, but in the end I think it will just relate to faster access to data, and a different way data is organized and indexed.

Yes, I'll double check in a mo, but I think I've seen that - apparently it all centers on a relational database engine - they talk about it as a database ne minute, a filesystem the next, and a win32 layer after that - all told, I have no idea what it is now but I wonder if it's acctually a combination of all of these. I think perhaps I didn't give it quite all of the attention it deserved though.

It occurs to me though that you could use a relational database in a few different ways. For example, you could use it to say that set of photos "A" is related in some way to photo "B". On the other hand, you could use it as a thesaurus where you relate groups of words to other words, paving the way perhaps for the very early stages of computers acctually starting to understand more complex spech, as opposed to the single "play" commands we can use for things like media player or whatever at the moment.

Ya and a relational DB would allow much more complex searches. Say for example, "find all photos with dates between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx with the name 'susie' in the title".

Or maybe "find all word documents up to a year old that have the term 'dear such and such' in the text".
Well, those aren't terribly complex, but the point is we can have much deeper and pin pointed searching.

Another thing it does is allow, I guess what I would call smarter shortcuts. Where you can almost literally have the same data in multiple locations, but be editing the same file and have it update in all locations, without using any extra HDD space. Kind of like a shortcut, only more like a direct mapping to the file. If that makes sense.
I remember MS talking about this "mapping" thing.

Anyhoo, a technology that has been in development for 7 years, better have some pretty nifty features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back