Windows will not boot !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed all new hardware in my pc, following all of the regular procedures. After the installation the machine would no longer boot Windows. OF COURSE I tried removing each piece of hardware and rebooting, but I found no errors with the hardware. I've tried it with two separate motherboards, neither of which worked. I'm wondering what could be causing this problem and how I might fix it. Please. I have, in a sense, a brand new pc that I have yet to use. ANY suggestions are welcome.

Uh, did you try reinstalling it again? Is it a clean install? Was the hard drive freshly wiped when you tried installing it? If not, was the hard drive from an old computer with another windows installation?

Yeah ideally it looks to be a problem of the Windows installation and reinstaling the same should solve the problem. Again assuming that the OS was XP you can always insert the OS CD and select the Reapir option from the menu, this in the most likely cases will solve the problem for you.
Another thing though the chances of this happening is rather less is that of the CMOS battery being worn out, so u can also try to get a new battery and see if the problem rectifies.

It's a brand new Hard Drive, never been used. Brand new motherboard, brand new RAM, brand new video card and a brand new processor. As far as I know there are no hardware conflicts. When I try to boot Windows from the disk on the NEW, CLEAN HD, it loads all of the setup files and then I get a blue error screen that says to scan my computer for viruses and remove any corrupted or new hard drives that I may have.

Can you elaborate on "would no longer boot Windows"?

Do you get an error message? Does it just restart over and over again? Does it hang at the logo? Before the Windows logo? etc...

The more you can tell us, the better answers we can give. :)

then I get a blue error screen that says to scan my computer for viruses and remove any corrupted or new hard drives that I may have.

Do you have any other hard drives you can try in the machine? I don't see any reason why the installation would hold up at that point and for that reason, at least off the top of my head, but it states pretty clearly - "remove any new hard drives" - perhaps you should listen to it?

Like I said, I get a blue screen with an error message telling me to uninstall any new hard drives. Windows WILL NOT INSTALL at all. I get a Windows set up screen and it loads all of the setup files, but right before the installation actually starts the error message comes up. I don't remember EXACTLY what the message said, and it's all but impossible to go see, as that would involve taking every component out of the computer I'm using and installing all of the non-functioning components in their places.

I've tried 3 different drives. Two of them are formatted and contain files, which I need to backup before I can reformat them. Those two are IDE drives. The third is the new one which is a SATA hard drive.

After windows loads setup files, it restarts. Is this problem before or after the restart? Also - just to make sure - are you letting the system boot from hard drive after the setup files are installed?

Try just plugging in one of the IDE drives and see if it boots, that is if it has an OS on it.

Also, try installing Linux, see if that installs alright. It may simply be a faulty drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back