Windows will not load and trying to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

soonerdude

I have/had windows xp. Yesterday it wouldn't boot and said it couldn't complete the upgrade. I was not upgrading anything. It keeps askingfor the os disk so it can complete the upgrade. I put the disk in but the upgrade keeps failing and windows will now not load cuz its screwed up. Basically HELP!!! Also, if windows need to be reinstalled, will i lose everything on the harddrive and is there any way to prevent this. I have a dell dimension computer if that helps. I only have email at work so i may be awhile in responding if anyone can help me. Thanks

On a Dell Dimension computer, you will definitely lose all data on your computer if you reinstall Windows using the discs that came with the Dimension.
Please tell us the model and service tag from the label on the back.

But it may be necessary to use an external usb drive on another computer, or install this drive as a slave in another computer to rescue all your data.

ok i'm at work so it will be sunday before i can post that information. Is there any other info you would like that i can aquire before posting again. You mentioned making this drive a slave. Could i buy a new harddrive and put it in this computer, install xp or vista and have the old hard drive as a slave and recover all the data. I was toying witht he idea of getting a bigger hard drive anyway. I have no problem buying a new copy of xp or vista and not using the dell one. Thanks again.

soonerdude said:
Could i buy a new harddrive and put it in this computer, install xp or vista and have the old hard drive as a slave and recover all the data.

Yes, except your computer came with Xp, therfore there may be unknown hardware issues if you decide on Vista install

soonerdude said:
I have no problem buying a new copy of xp or vista and not using the dell one.

Why do you want to buy Xp, you already have it
It is preferred to keep the Dell product key with the Dell computer
ie your COA sticker attached to the side of your computer says Dell

What you suggest with a new drive will work well... We recommend Seagate with its five-year warranty.
If you locate, or buy the Dell disks cheaply, you can do what you propose. Then download the latest WXP service pack, and Internet Explorer 7 with the Slave hooked up. Microsoft will ask you if you want to migrate the information from the slave to the new drive... or you can download software from www.majorgeeks.com, www.tucows.com or other download sites to do the job free or cheaply.
Seagate hard drives are available from some vendors such as tigerdirect, directron, and zipzoomfly: $55 fpr 160 GB, 250 GB for $73.20, 80 GB for $45, or 750 GB for $175. Be sure to get one with 8 mb or 16 mb buffer, not the 2 mb buffer.

I do have all the disks it was xp with service pack 1 i tried once updating to service pack 2 but it wouldn't let me. I will get the other info you asked for on here tomorrow and then go from there. Getting a 250gb hard drive seems like a good idea since mine isn't nearly big enough. I would rather fix the other one first if that would be the easier option.

Buy the Service Pack 2 cd from Microsoft. $3.40. It will work if your Windows is valid.

The Dell Dimension 8300 is a rock solid machine. We continue to service hundreds of them. Be sure all your memory modules are the same for best results... either DDR PC2700 or DDR PC3200. If there is a mix of speeds and some Value Ram with regular RAM, you can have a few problems.

We always install SP2 with a CD we obtained from Microsoft, rather than from a download.

I cannot think of a reason you are having this problem, unless you have the Western Digital or Maxtor hard drive and it is reaching the end of its useful product life. This might be the time to upgrade to a new 7200 rpm PATA drive in the 160 to 250 gb range.

Or you may have some sort of infestation that is playing games with you.

Memory is good. I ordered it with a gig and have no problems there. I ran diagnostics on the hardware (that still worked) and it said everything was good. Not sure what brand the hardrive is. It has/had about 40gb of unused space. No problems till it decided it wanted to upgrade. I doubt that I have any infestation, I do keep on top of that. Aside from Mcafee, at&t (who is my internet provider) has all kinds of stuff i use as well and i regularly use things like spybot and adaware and such. never had anything.
Ok, so i will get a new harddrive per your recommendations. How do i go about installing windows. Is seagate the best? Do best buy staples orsuch places carry them or do i need to order online. Thanks again for everything.

it is not correct to say you will lose all data on the hdd if you re-install windows from a dell windows xp cd. the cd works the same way as every windows xp install cd else. you could lose your data if you select to format the driver before copying the files for the installation but if you select to leave the file system as it is your data will be still there. you have to reinstall all programs but your data such as documents, media files and program folders will all still be there. so once re-installed you can copy all data you need to a save place.

if you want to upgrade to a new hdd then follow the advice of the guys and put in your old drive as a slave to get your data from it.

my two cents
mscrx

Best Buy, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart sell a few models, but at a much, much higher "retail" price than the online prices at Zipzoomfly, Directron, NewEgg, and TigerDirect. They do come in a box with an install disc, EIDE cable, and some other gadgetry.

raybay said:
product life. This might be the time to upgrade to a new 7200 rpm PATA drive in the 160 to 250 gb range.

QUOTE]

Please explain the PATA my current hard drive is SATA which i think means serial something or other. Why would i switch to PATA (parallel?)

PATA (=Parallel ATA)

Parallel ATA ATA/ATAPI-4 Ultra ATA/33 Ultra DMA 2
Parallel ATA ATA/ATAPI-5 Ultra ATA/66 Ultra DMA 4
Parallel ATA ATA/ATAPI-6 Ultra ATA/100 Ultra DMA 5
Parallel ATA ATA/ATAPI-7 Ultra ATA/133 Ultra DMA 6

ok thanks but that really didnt help much. Don't really know what your trying to say and still don't know if thats even ok since i have SATA. Please eleborate

oh sorry I lost the context. just thought I explain PATA....
well, don't see why you should go back to PATA. maybe it was just a typo and meant to say SATA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back