Windows will not load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night when I was using my computer it decided to suddenly reboot. When it rebooted, the BIOS would load but when it came around to loading up Windows XP, it just would not do it. Right before this had happened, Windows installed an update. So, what I think is that whatever Windows downloaded has damaged my system. I have tried to do a system restore on it but when I try to load up the restore utility through my Windows XP disk, it will load everything up but then it says "Setup is loading Windows..." and it is stuck there. Can anyone help me out here? Please? :D

Have you tried safe mode? Restart the computer, press and hold F8, when the list of boot options appears choose Safe Mode. Once in Windows Safe Mode go to Add/Remove programs, click on Show Updates at the top and remove the last Windows Update. Restart the computer normally. If you tried this already you might have to attempt a Repair Install of Windows.

I tried booting in safe mode but it gets stuck on this...

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys"

I can't get into the Repair utility because my computer will not load up Windows. :/

I am having the same problems. Windows was starting to lock up and reboot more frequently, defrag was locking up my computer, system restore did not help, but i COULD boot into safe mode. Further troubleshooting revealed nothing, so I formatted my HDD and reinstalled windows xp...several times. Now the splash screen stays up for about ten minutes, followed by a black screen which never goes away. I can not boot into the recovery console from the xp disk, and I can't do a full format of my HDD during setup. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

This is my second computer build (first one would lock up during every xp installation attempt) and the only components in this one that were used in the first are the CD/DVD drive, power supply, RAM, and case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back