Windows won`t recognise hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Failure to recognize a hard drive can be caused by a jumper pin missing, a bad hard drive EIDE or power cable (they get brittle and disconnect as they age).

But usually, it is the failure of the hard drive. They often fail for no good reason, just like a light bulb burning out... or a chip failure on the back of the drive. Sometimes the magnetic material on the internal plates will begin to curl up and flake off. Others will have the bearings burn out or freeze up preventing the plates from turning. Still others have glass plates covered with magnetic coating that suddenly shatter from the centrifical force.

Try borrowing another drive to try, just to test the connectors.

It can be tricky to save the data on that drive, but you can expect to be successful about 66 to 75 percent of the time.

cant get windows to recogonize hard drive

I was using r-studio to retrieve info off a friends hard drive. It was working fine till I got a blue screen of death. After I restarted my computer all my drives show but my friends wont. It is running and seems fine but it will not show in My Computer, Bios, or Hardware manager. Does anyone know how to get my computer to find a hard drive that just will not show in any system?

Your best best bet is to install a fresh copy of Ur OS ** cough ** Windows ** ** cough ** :).. if im understanding this right. If you dont want to loose all just repair to see if everything will show up.
just restart computer and hit f12 i think till u get to Boot from cd-rom..

hope this is helpful.. if not explain to me a little better .. i should be able to help you.

Well for some reason the computer does not see the drive at all. I can not even load a new os on the drive because the computer just wont see it. I have no trubble finding my other two drives and they work fine, it is just my friends drive that I was trying to recover info from that wont show up.

I am just so un sure it is a sata drive just like my other drives that do recoginize and I have even un-plugged them and put this drive in their place but still no results. When I plug the drive in I can hear it spin and it gets warm but it just wont recogonize. I have checked the chips on the back for signs of wear or any burn smell and nothing it looks and smells like brand new. When the drive is running I do not hear any odd noise either like clicking or rubbing, it sounds normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back