TechSpot

windows won't boot from hd after installing new mobo

By Odinn
Aug 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recently bought a new motherboard ( winfast K7S 741MG ) and a gig of pc 3200 ram after installing all my old gear onto the motherboard and setting it all up i can start the pc, it runs post and i can get into the bios but when i try to run windows it says there is an error with the hardisk that it may have a virus or a problem with recently installed hardware, any ideas?
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Did you reformat the hard drive and re-install windows, or are you trying to run from a HDD that has your previous windows installation?

I'd test the HDD just to be sure: http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

Then if you haven't already, do a NEW installation of windows after re-formatting that hard drive completely.
  3. Odinn

Odinn TS Rookie Topic Starter

thnx will give it a shot, was trying to run it from a previous installation, guess i'll have to format :(
  4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Well, I am not a computer pro like some of the members here. If you want, you can wait and see what they have to say.

But I don't think you can use your windows installation from your old computer on your new computer. All the drivers etc are completely different, and I would think it would completely choke if it tries to load your old mobo drivers on a completely different system.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.