TechSpot

windows won't boot from hd after installing new mobo

By Odinn
Aug 11, 2005
  1. recently bought a new motherboard ( winfast K7S 741MG ) and a gig of pc 3200 ram after installing all my old gear onto the motherboard and setting it all up i can start the pc, it runs post and i can get into the bios but when i try to run windows it says there is an error with the hardisk that it may have a virus or a problem with recently installed hardware, any ideas?

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Did you reformat the hard drive and re-install windows, or are you trying to run from a HDD that has your previous windows installation?

I'd test the HDD just to be sure: http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

Then if you haven't already, do a NEW installation of windows after re-formatting that hard drive completely.

3. Odinn

Odinn TS Rookie Topic Starter

thnx will give it a shot, was trying to run it from a previous installation, guess i'll have to format :(

4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Well, I am not a computer pro like some of the members here. If you want, you can wait and see what they have to say.

But I don't think you can use your windows installation from your old computer on your new computer. All the drivers etc are completely different, and I would think it would completely choke if it tries to load your old mobo drivers on a completely different system.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.