Windows won't boot without Startup CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

I have a Gateway GT 5220 with Windows Vista Home Premium x32. For quite some time now I haven't been able to start the computer without having the "Windows Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade" disk that came with my PC. With the disk in I can easily turn the computer, and Windows boots and after that I can eject the disk and it still runs. Without the disk however, the computer starts up, but doesn't make it any further, saying "BOOTMGR is missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I have tried booting from the disk and running Startup Repair and the Memory Diagnostic Tool. I have also tried reinstalling Windows (I needed to anyway) but without having any luck in fixing this issue.

Thank You very much for your time in helping me resolve this issue. If any further information I can provide that could help us corroborate an answer to this problem, I will gladly do so.

I just checked. The drive with Windows on it is set as first boot priority, I also went into Boot setup and manually booted from the primary. I still get the same problem.

Like I said this has been going on for a while, and a fresh install of Windows didn't fix it. So I'm thinking it's BIOS but I'm not sure, they're not exactly my area of expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back