Windows won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new laptop and was attempting to connect it wirelessly to my desktop so that I could transfer the files and such from the desktop to the laptop. I installed the wireless adaptor software and ran the network setup wizard on the desktop after which it said I needed to restart the computer. Problem is that now windows is getting stuck in the loading screen. It won't start in safe mode and I can't find the CD that came with XP (I inherited the computer from my brother and it is a legal copy of XP). I don't really care that much if the computer never works again I just really need all the files and data from it.

Hope this makes sense...please help!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have you tried removing the wireless card and booting the machine?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

First, try disconnecting anything not required to boot your computer. Just leave the mobo/cpu/psu/graphics card/hard drive/1 stick of ram and see if your system will boot.

If it still won`t boot, either take out your hard drive and put it in another pc as a slave drive, or get an external hard drive enclosure and put the hard drive in that and connect it to your laptops usb port.

Regards Howard :)

I have a bunch of old pc's lying around so I had contemplated putting it in one of them...nothing else is working. Still doesn't solve the problem of how to get everything from that onto the laptop....oh the joys of technology lol

Thanks muchly
xo

Like I said, if you put your hard drive into an external hard drive enclosure and connect it you your laptop, you should be able to get at your important data and transfer it to the laptop, or better still to dvd`s/cd`s.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back