windows wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to reformat and install windows vista. It wouldnt let me reformat or install so my first reaction was virus so i wiped the hardrive thinking I could just reinstall then. What I got was when you get to the part about partitions it doesnt recognize I have a hardrive. Then the next button i push no matter what gives me the BSoD. I have checked ram not that. Hardrive works fine. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix this? Thank you very much for any help.

We need some info about your pc and which windows version you are trying to install!!!

pentium4 3gig HT
1 gig of ram
60gig 7200rpm hardrive
nvidia 7800 gtx
installign windows vista
and its on a mtech d900t model laptop
If you need more info let me know...any help will be great

luciferga said:
I tried to reformat and install windows vista. It wouldnt let me reformat or install so my first reaction was virus so i wiped the hardrive thinking I could just reinstall then. What I got was when you get to the part about partitions it doesnt recognize I have a hardrive. Then the next button i push no matter what gives me the BSoD. I have checked ram not that. Hardrive works fine. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix this? Thank you very much for any help.

Are you trying to re-install the Beta Version (i.e. RC versions) of Vista?

im tryn to install vista with sp3...The thing is its not the vista i have tried xp and vista and they both work on my friends laptop. I have tested the ram which works fine as does my hardrive. I can get linux to install no problem its just installing windows for some unknown reason wont work. I have talked to more then one tech person who all of which have been stumped. I think i may have a mystery on my hands.

vista sp3?? are u sure? vista has not a service pack yet, its now build 6000 and prev it has beta 3 and RC2.

nismo91 said:
vista sp3?? are u sure? vista has not a service pack yet, its now build 6000 and prev it has beta 3 and RC2.

Was it released yet :confused: ? If it was, :) :knock:

idk thats what the cd said. The cd is burned so maybe I had a friend who albeled it wrong. Either way its not the cd because not even a real windows cd will install the os and on my friends computer the burned one installs fine.

is your harddrive partitioned? what type it is, NTFS or FAT??
i think it's not CD, it should be a DVD for vista :)
But i have came across this, when i make partition from partition apps available nowadays, is cross the 1024 boundary or what so ever, i forget the exact sentence but it says i need to make it to default before installing windows.

maybe your one cross the 1024 boundary??

This is a friend of luciferga. I've worked extensively on his computer and thought that I may be able to clarify some things.
1) The hard drive is completely whipped; there is no partitions or anything of the sort.
2) Despite the OS, as long as it is windows based it WILL NOT install. I own a small computer store, so I was able to go through 98se, 2k, media, xp home and xp pro.
3) It is not his harddrive. I did a pull + stuck it in one of my own. I was able to install windows fine on my computer using his harddrive, but soon as it was put back in his, we had the same problem.
4) Its not the memory, or at least not the ram. I traded out his sticks of ram, so that issue was addressed.
Current goal: Install windows xp. No vista. Ignore vista. Xp.
Current problem: During install screen, after drivers + user agreement. When it displays the screen where windows is normally partitioned, instead of saying "empty space" or "unpartitioned space", we have "unknown disk" repeated continuously.
Conundrum: Linux can install fine, so it appears to be Microsoft specific.

Any ideas? (specs of computer are listed in first post)

You may have wiped a small partition that holds a software program from Mtech that acts like a bios for laptops.You will have to confirm this with them.
If there is a re-istall disk that came with the LTp you should be able to partition properly and load the software with that.

luciferga said:
idk thats what the cd said. The cd is burned so maybe I had a friend who albeled it wrong. Either way its not the cd because not even a real windows cd will install the os and on my friends computer the burned one installs fine.

Techspot does not condone use of pirating and if you want Vista, you should buy it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back