TechSpot

Windows wont recognise graphics card

By vreg
Feb 16, 2006
  1. BIOS will recognise my graphics card but windows wont. can anyone help

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Can you provide a little more detail. Which motherboard? Which video card? Which OS? Is this a new build? Is this a replacement video card?

3. vreg

vreg TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

motherboard-MSI km4m-v
    graphic card- geforce 6200, agp 8x, 256mb
    O.S.-windows xp
    i've had the comp for a year and a half. I've only changed the graphic card. I had a different graphic card but had teh same problem with that as well.

4. Lazareth

Lazareth TS Rookie Posts: 30

When you say won't reconize do you mean windows does not see the card at all, are you getting a display at all? Or are you just getting the default card driver. Because if windows doesn't reconize the card but you get a display on your screen than its probally a driver problem, in which case down load the most current drivers or do a little research on the card.

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,903   +338

Are you using the correct driver and how did you uninstall the old one and install the new one?

6. vreg

I am getting a picture and able to get a resolution of 2408x1536. because windows wont recognise teh graphics card it wont let me install teh drivers for teh g/c. Saying you dont have teh correct drivers for the graphics card. I uninstalled the old drivers by using add/remover progrms tool and then i serached for the drivers to make sure i deleted tehm.

7. vreg

by teh way the monitor is plugged into teh g/c

8. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,903   +338

So you uninstall the old graphics driver and after restarting the PC, it won't let you install the new one at that point?

9. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

10. vreg

no i couldn't install teh drivers for my old g/c eitehr

11. vreg

which drivers theres a few of them

12. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

13. vreg

still the same but i get a very high resolution out teh g/c. reformatted harddrive still teh same.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.