Windows won't start - hal.dll is missing

By Legoflamb
May 26, 2010
  1. I'm an IT tutor for a charity and I'm kinda responsible for sorting the computers out here as well and one of the computers isn't booting windows.

I'm formatting the drive and reinstalling windows because I didn't know the admin password in recovery console so I could do a chkdsk /r and if I pressed enter to install windows I wasn't given the option to press r to repair it.

Apparently there's a clone disk here somewhere but I couldn't see an external and it's too much messing about with an external....

Any thoughts on this?
  2. Legoflamb

Legoflamb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 149

Ok I've formatted and reinstalled windows but now when you start the machine it asks which windows you want to boot - there are two instances of windows xp professional - but I formatted the machine!

What's up with that? I did a proper format (not the quick one) on the only partition available to do it on ( c: )

edit: I clicked the second option on the list and as it turns out it's the original install of XP with the hal.dll error.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.