Windows Won't Start!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I just got myself a brand new dell PC, running vista premium, it was running fine until i tried to transfer my music files from my old computer.
But after it got half way through the transfer, the screen went blue, it said something about a kernel error, i don't know what that means,
Then i restarted the computer and a screen comes up saying 'windows failed to start, this might have been caused by some hardware or software changes' then it gives you the option of using startup maintenance, or strarting normally, starting normally doesn't work, you just get back to this screen.
Start up maintenance can't solve the problem automatically.
System restore doesn't work because it 'failed due to an unspecified error. The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)
The windows memory diagnostics tool can't find a problem.
Also i can't run the hardware check off the vista disk because it can't read the disk without windows running.
I need the files on the computer, they've been deleted off the old computer. How do i fix it???

Transfer options

What method did you use ?
It will also stop at a corrupted file.You have to watch and skip that one
and continue from the next file.Move just files to new folders,not the folder.
Slower but points out bad files.
I just added my old HD as slave after and transfered my music to my new partition for music.
I had 2 restarts.Lost 2 songs.
But you might have to take it back,it's should still be warranted.
Just tell them Windows won't load.;)

I was transferring them via my wireless network.It crashed a couple of times and there was the blue screen with the thing about the kernel error on it, i doubt it was a bad file tough, because when i restarted it they transfered fine, until it crashed again and then windows didn't start after that, i've contacted dell, but all i've had back was some rubbish automated response that toldme nothing

Why not use the normal way of IDE cable connections ?
You should have 2 Master and 2 Slaves.Are they all in use ?
If so remove one,connect old one and get files then
Put back the one you removed.This works for me.

Trans files by wireless should not crash the machine, I would say its a bad motherboard or a bad harddrive. I would put my money on MB.

Dell used to have ok support but then I have never owned one just due to the horror storys I have heard about them.

You will have to get fixed thru there support tho unless you want to void your warranty and have to pay to have it fixed.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back