Windows won't startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zsj

Hi, I found out that my friends computer wont boot up, it start up and goes to windows loading screen and then restarts. I have tried to start it in safe mode and and last known good configuration, but no luck. I have delt with stuff like this before, particularly my computer, and have fixed it. But for some reason I can't seem to remember how to do it anymore. I have a slipstream disk, but I'm not about to reformat until I have tried EVERYTHING. I dont know what his sys specs are.. so ANY help would be appreciated!

Z

Edit: Found out that he has a XP cd, started it up, pressed r for recovery console... what do I do now? there is a command promt, dont know what to enter.

Usually, this results when the hard drive has gone bad... most often a Hitachi, Trigem, or Maxtor.
But it can also be caused by defective memory, defective cpu fan, or defective power supply.

Tell us the brand, model, age, and configuration.

just did a chkdsk and it found one or more errors, but how do I repair them?
CPU is good, ram is good im sure, PSU is good, im sure the hdd is good.
like i said, i have done these things before, and successfully repaired computers, but I just can't remember what commands to put in.

Why are you sure the Hard drive is good when Chkdsk reports you have hard drive errors.
What is the brand and model, age and configuration, as well as information on the hard drive.
You can repair the hard drive, if it is repairable, by booting to your windows recovery or restore disk, but then that risks losing all the data.

You should be able to get a new hard drive for $44 depending on where you live.

well, I have delt with computers with broken harddrives, and found out they were broken because the recovery console didnt work.

now, Im repairing the errors chkdsk found and am going to restart the computer after it is done. If it doesnt work, I'm going to run fixboot.

and after that if it still doesnt work, NUKE THE BIZNATCH.

edit: All i know ATM is that the HDD is a Maxtor, cant remove it until I restart computer.

What do you think is happening when a "...recovery console didn't work..."
Maxtor is the most failure prone of all hard drives, except for the TriGem used in eMachines.

If your Maxtor is two years or more in age, it is a goner... don't waste your time with it, or you will dmage it further so you cannot recover any valuable data on it.

well... we will see, if it doesnt then Im going to be sad, and my friend is going to have to spend some mullah or I am to buy a new hdd.

Why are you sure the Hard drive is good when Chkdsk reports you have hard drive errors.
Huh? One of the main useful purposes for chkdsk is to check for bad disk sectors and (if found) then take them out service! You don't throw out a drive because chkdsk returns errors! That's absolutely ridiculous. (but I guess makes good business for a repair shop i guess)

One should run chkdsk plus drive diagnostics and THEN decide if the drive needs to be trashed. Geez....

/* EDIT */
Not to mention this tidbit.
You can repair the hard drive, if it is repairable, by booting to your windows recovery or restore disk, but then that risks losing all the data.
Again, huh?? You know how many drives get repaired by using windows recovery console/fixboot and other RC commands???? What ARE you saying? don't use it but simply buy a new drive???

now, this is true, I have high hopes for this harddrive. Even though Maxtor is probably the "most error prone" harddrives on the market, doesnt mean that THIS one will do the same.

this is the smart way to go: Diagnose problem> figure out if there is a way to fix it> try to fix it.
now, this is how i run MY show, I always look on the bright side of things, IT WILL WORK DAMMIT! if it doesnt, I ask for help. If there is no help.. reform>install. and if that doesnt work.. buy new harddrive :) either way, I WILL NOT let my friend spend over $100 at a repair shop for something I can do for free. :)

Good for you Zsj! :grinthumb

As for running chkdsk from recovery console (among other info) See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Fixed! ran chkdsk then after ran chkdsk /r and now it boots up.. going to run some reg repair programs on it. thanks for your support raybay... and thank you lookinaround

You bet!
And glad to hear you knew better then simply running out to buy a new hard drive when after a coupla common chkdsk errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back