Windows XP 64-bit Coming Wednesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Hello again fellow 3DSers!!! Saw this little article over at www.4peeps.com and found it interesting.
http://www.amdmb.com/index.php#News-4285
Author: Ryan Shrout - Mon, Apr 22, 2002 - 06:36 PM

After having a lot of different phone conversations this past week, I have come to a conclusion on the recent news pertaining to AMD's Hammer products and their needed support in the OEM world. Anything that you are going to read in this post is purely speculation and has no real grounds from anything I have been told from AMD or any company that I have talked with. All I have done is combine the information that I have heard and read and come up with this very simple prediction for this weeks activities:
Microsoft is going to announce on Wednesday a new Windows XP version for 64-bit operating systems and that it will have support for the AMD Hammer line of processors.

First, how did I come to this conclusion? There were several factors that lead into it. Primarily, I know that another event will be happening on April 24th involving the AMD line of Hammer processors. Unfortunetly, I can not share that with you until my NDA has expires on that. Also, many of you already know that AMD will be ringing in the bell on Wednesday, another pointing fact they are planning something big for the industry. The last key was this transcript fo the Microsoft hearings and what Jerry Sanders says in it on April 16th. Finally, at the Inquirer there is an email that may or may not be real, that points to successful running of a Hammer processor on a 64-bit Windows OS. All of this adds up to the speculation I made above.

Please keep in mind that this is a forward-looking little bit of information. I have no verification of the announcement from anywhere in AMD, Microsoft or elsewhere. However, if it is true, this is going to be a great day for AMD and will put a lot of those who have denounced AMD's Hammer to rest. What would AMD gain from this kind of support? Well, most noteable is the recent discord on whether or not AMD's Hammer would be able to gain the necessary OEM support it needs to be a success. With Windows XP 64-bit support, this would show the OEMs and everyone else that AMD's Hammer is the most inovative platform available and we would surely see a pick up in the Hammer discussion at top companies throughout the world.

Update: This post at AMD.COM about two announcements on Wednesday about Hammer is fitting in well with my predictions.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
uhhh...maybe u meant Athlon XP 64-bit not Windows XP 64bit, lol, its an honest mistake...lol

No actually it's both, MS is running a Hammer on XP-64 code. I will post the link when I get back, I have to run an errund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back