Windows XP appears to be installed twice (now I have a dual booting screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, i got a computer as a gift that had windows 98 on it, so i wanted to put windows xp (home edition) on it. i installed it correctly and everything works fine, but when i turn it on it asks me to choose the operating system and i'm being given the same choice twice:

select your operating system:
1. Windows XP Home edition
2. Windows XP Home edition

how do i uninstall the other windows XP or disable this screen so i go through start up normally?

thanx in advance for any help

The hidden file C:\boot.ini contains the settings for bootup. You can remove the second entry from this, but BE CAREFUL and don't remove the one that works.

ok, i found the file, and it opened in notepad but i have no idea where each starts(or ends...)
here is everything the file says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(7eca173)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(7eca173)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The simpliest fix for this in your case is to right click on my computer, go to properties. then go to the advanced tab. then the bottom of 3 boxes is 'startup and recovery'. click on settings in that box. Then UNCHECK the box that says time to display list of operating systems.

Problem solved.

hi i have the same problem but i got the second xp running because had to reinstall, but takiing up space due to what was on the other one so how can i completly get rid of the unused one??
Thanx for any help

i did the same thing on vista, when i reinstalled it. I just reinstalled it again, but formatted the drive when it came up and asked what drive i wanted to install on. I clicked on advanced options and then it allows you to format then install. thats how i got rid of both my vista boots.

This is an Xp fault only, in boot.ini (which Vista doesn't have)
Please do not reserect old threads (especially this big name one)
for no reason at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back