Windows XP Boot Failure : System Halted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone here can help me. :)

I have an older comp that I was using, and it was working great. Then when I disconnected it and moved it downstairs it all of a sudden can't boot. It first goes to a flashing curser then to what appears to be a memory test then Boot Failure: System Halted. I can't even get to the BIOS to check boot order (because there appears to be a password on the setup, which I don’t know) I went to reinstall the OS thinking that was the problem, and it won't even boot from the disc. I'm at a loss. :( I'm going to check the insides to make sure the cablings are all ok, but other then that. I have no idea. If anyone ca think of a way for me to install the OS. I'm sure I can go from there (hopefully). Thanks

First thing to check should be that the IDE cables are properly seated

If you have 2 sticks of RAM in there, i would try removing one stick and boot, if it still doesn't work insert the other stick and try to boot. You can also try changing the jumpers on your drives to change the boot order

Like I said I would open the case and check the IDE cables (Ribbon looking cables) make sure they are plugged in good, would have been easy enough for one to wiggle loose

If that doesn't work, does your CD-rom spin when you put in the disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back